Jan 12, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
Game(s) of the Day
No. 13 Creighton 74, Missouri State 52: The Creighton junior continues to make a strong case for National Player of the Year. Dough McDermott went for a season-high 39 points, adding 10 rebounds. The Bluejays led by 10 at half, 37-27 due to Missouri State’s slow down offense. Behind the offensive production from McDermott, 18 in the first seven minutes, Creighton breezed to another Missouri Valley win.
Wright State 62, Loyola (Ill.): Reggie Arceneaux hit a shot with 90 second left to put Wright State up 62-61, no one else would score as the Raiders picked up a road win. Wright State was down double digits to start the second half, but got back into the game thanks in large part to 61 percent shooting from the field.
Loyola (Md.) 63, Fairfield 58 OT: Loyola trailed by six with under five to play, but a 6-0 run forced overtime. The Greyhounds started out the extra frame on a 7-2 run behind Jordan Latham’s bucket and five points from Dylon Cormier.
Creighton stays perfect in MVC: The Bluejays are 5-0 in MVC play. McDermott and Co. have already beaten Evansville and Indiana State, two other teams off to strong conference starts. Creighton has a game against an 8-8 (1-3 MVC) Northern Iowa team, before a showdown with No. 23 Wichita State (15-1, 4-0) on the road.
Loyola stays up top standings: Loyola, with the win, improve to 4-1 in MAAC play. The Greyhounds are in a three-way tie with Iona and Niagara for the conference lead. Loyola plays Iona on Jan. 27.
Canisius upset by Siena: Niagara won and Loyola one to stay atop the MAAC standings. Canisius could of joined them but the Golden Griffins fell by three to three-win Siena. Canisius is now 3-2 in conference play and takes on Iona, also atop the MAAC standings, on the road on Sunday.
Doug McDermott, Creighton: McDermott scored is 39 off an impressive 15-of-19 shooting. He started off the second half connecting on his first 10 shots. The Bluejays have won 10 straight.
Reggie Arceneaux, Wright State: Arceneaux scored 29 points to help keep Wright State perfect in Horizon League play (4-0) over Loyola (Ill). He also hit the game-winning shot with 1:35 to play.
Utah State: The Aggies are now 14-1 and 5-0 in WAC play after scoring a narrow 66-60 win over San Jose State. Utah State is winners of 13 straight.
Canisius: Despite outrebounding Siena, the Griffins shot only 39 percent as a team, and 30 from behind the arc. Canisius also coughed the ball up 14 times to a three-win Siena team. The loss puts Canisius in second place behind three teams in the MAAC.
Lipscomb: The Bison are now losers of 5-of-6 games. In three of those games, teams have gone for 84 points or more. It doesn’t get easier for Lipscomb, they play Atlantic Sun leading Florida Gulf Coast (12-6, 4-1) on Thursday.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)