Jan 12, 2013, 2:53 PM EST
Star Butler guard Rotnei Clarke was taken off on a stretcher with 8:13 to play in the first half of the Bulldogs’ matchup with Dayton Saturday afternoon.
Clarke was fouled hard by Dayton forward Matt Derenbecker on a drive to the basket, causing him to lose his balance in mid-air. He fell awkwardly and his head speared the base of the backboard support. He was in immediate visible pain and was tended to by team doctors who attempted to keep him from moving as a precaution.
While being attended to, microphones picked up Clarke’s dialogue with those attending to him, insisting that he return to the game, but he was taken off on a stretcher. Doctors were also heard talking about what the injury could be, suggesting perhaps it was a stinger.
Clarke had full movement of his arms and legs when he was taken to the locker room on a stretcher. He gave the crowd a “thumbs up” gesture as he was taken into the tunnel. He was taken to a local hospital.
UPDATE 12 January 2013, 4:58 p.m. ET
According to David Woods of the Indianapolis Star, Clarke has been evaluated and tests show he does not have spinal damage after the fall. Woods cites the Butler trainer in saying that Clarke is being released from the hospital and will travel on the team bus with the Bulldogs.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
Without Jordan McLaughlin, USC will have to rely on Julian Jacobs at the point in their final two regular season games.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
In addition to a ruptured plantar fascia suffered in a loss to Florida in late-January, Ricky Tarrant also needs to undergo a procedure on his left knee.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Boeheim doesn’t seem pleased about the ruling.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
This borders on criminal.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:37 PM EST
There aren’t many surprises here.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
SMU will also be making a trip to visit Memphis.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:58 AM EST
This is incredible.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
These are more understated than recent adidas uniforms.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:43 AM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:26 AM EST
Chris Jones was dismissed from the team on Sunday.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:38 AM EST
And No. 2 Virginia limited Wake Forest to 21.8% shooting without two starters.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
The Duke defense is the biggest red flag on any true contender.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST
Scott Drew’s Bears went on an 18-4 second half run to take control of the game, hitting six three-pointers.
Feb 25, 2015, 9:57 PM EST
Here are Wednesday’s bubble winners and losers.
Feb 25, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby also notes that the conference is having conversations regarding possible protocols for situations in which fans rush the court.
Feb 25, 2015, 6:14 PM EST
The CBI becomes the second postseason event to announce that it will use a 30-second shot clock this spring.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:02 PM EST
The shirts are cool, but just as important is getting enough fans in seats to make a difference against Florida State.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
This loss is a massive blow to Wisconsin’s chances of getting a No. 1 seed.
Feb 25, 2015, 2:06 PM EST
Currie discusses what went wrong on Monday night.
Feb 25, 2015, 1:23 PM EST
Is Iowa State the favorite to win the Big 12 now?
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)