Syracuse’s James Southerland out indefinitely with academic issue, will not play Saturday vs. Villanova
Jan 12, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Syracuse forward James Southerland is out indefinitely due to eligibility issues, the school announced Saturday. The school cited privacy laws in not disclosing the specific reason, but according to the Syracuse Post-Standard, academics could be at the root of the problem.
He will reportedly not suit up for Syracuse’s game Saturday against Villanova. His status for the remainder of the season is uncertain.
Southerland is the second-leading scorer for the Orange this season, averaging 13.6 points and adding 5.2 rebounds per game. He was key in Syracuse’s win over South Florida when he scored 17 points and was integral to a late-game run that allowed the Orange to pull away for the win.
His best game of the season came Nov. 30 vs. Arkansas when he scored 25 points on 12-of-17 shooting.
More updates will be added as they become available.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)