Jan 12, 2013, 11:51 PM EST
They don’t call it the Wild (Mountain) West for nothing.
OK, nobody calls it that. But this game was a nail-biter until the waning moments. It took overtime for No. 16 San Diego State to seal a 79-72 win over league rival Colorado State.
Jamaal Franklin had 23 points to lead all scorers in this instant classic, but it was Chase Tapley’s 12 points in overtime that sealed the deal for the Aztecs. SDSU went into the locker room at halftime ahead by 18 points, and it seemed a laugher was in progress.
Let it be known, CSU coach Larry Eustachy doesn’t do laughers.
Minnesota transfer Colton Iverson rallied the Rams with an 18 point, 11 rebound effort, looking unstoppable at times. It was Iverson’s layup that tied the game at 63, sending it to overtime. After the game, SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said he felt either team could win the MWC race this year. See for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)