Jan 12, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
They don’t call it the Wild (Mountain) West for nothing.
OK, nobody calls it that. But this game was a nail-biter until the waning moments. It took overtime for No. 16 San Diego State to seal a 79-72 win over league rival Colorado State.
Jamaal Franklin had 23 points to lead all scorers in this instant classic, but it was Chase Tapley’s 12 points in overtime that sealed the deal for the Aztecs. SDSU went into the locker room at halftime ahead by 18 points, and it seemed a laugher was in progress.
Let it be known, CSU coach Larry Eustachy doesn’t do laughers.
Minnesota transfer Colton Iverson rallied the Rams with an 18 point, 11 rebound effort, looking unstoppable at times. It was Iverson’s layup that tied the game at 63, sending it to overtime. After the game, SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said he felt either team could win the MWC race this year. See for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)