Jan 12, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
They don’t call it the Wild (Mountain) West for nothing.
OK, nobody calls it that. But this game was a nail-biter until the waning moments. It took overtime for No. 16 San Diego State to seal a 79-72 win over league rival Colorado State.
Jamaal Franklin had 23 points to lead all scorers in this instant classic, but it was Chase Tapley’s 12 points in overtime that sealed the deal for the Aztecs. SDSU went into the locker room at halftime ahead by 18 points, and it seemed a laugher was in progress.
Let it be known, CSU coach Larry Eustachy doesn’t do laughers.
Minnesota transfer Colton Iverson rallied the Rams with an 18 point, 11 rebound effort, looking unstoppable at times. It was Iverson’s layup that tied the game at 63, sending it to overtime. After the game, SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said he felt either team could win the MWC race this year. See for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (75)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)