Jan 12, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
They don’t call it the Wild (Mountain) West for nothing.
OK, nobody calls it that. But this game was a nail-biter until the waning moments. It took overtime for No. 16 San Diego State to seal a 79-72 win over league rival Colorado State.
Jamaal Franklin had 23 points to lead all scorers in this instant classic, but it was Chase Tapley’s 12 points in overtime that sealed the deal for the Aztecs. SDSU went into the locker room at halftime ahead by 18 points, and it seemed a laugher was in progress.
Let it be known, CSU coach Larry Eustachy doesn’t do laughers.
Minnesota transfer Colton Iverson rallied the Rams with an 18 point, 11 rebound effort, looking unstoppable at times. It was Iverson’s layup that tied the game at 63, sending it to overtime. After the game, SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said he felt either team could win the MWC race this year. See for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)