Jan 12, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
They don’t call it the Wild (Mountain) West for nothing.
OK, nobody calls it that. But this game was a nail-biter until the waning moments. It took overtime for No. 16 San Diego State to seal a 79-72 win over league rival Colorado State.
Jamaal Franklin had 23 points to lead all scorers in this instant classic, but it was Chase Tapley’s 12 points in overtime that sealed the deal for the Aztecs. SDSU went into the locker room at halftime ahead by 18 points, and it seemed a laugher was in progress.
Let it be known, CSU coach Larry Eustachy doesn’t do laughers.
Minnesota transfer Colton Iverson rallied the Rams with an 18 point, 11 rebound effort, looking unstoppable at times. It was Iverson’s layup that tied the game at 63, sending it to overtime. After the game, SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said he felt either team could win the MWC race this year. See for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)