Jan 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Travis Wear is the best 15-foot jump shooter in the country. I felt that way heading into Saturday, and I’m even more convinced of it after Wear scored 23 points, hitting 11-17 from the floor, as the Bruins went into Boulder and knocked off Colorado, 78-75.
Jordan Adams and Shabazz Muhammad combined for 32 points and Kyle Anderson chipped in with 12 points, 10 boards and five assists for the Bruins, who nearly blew a double-digit second half lead. Colorado’s Askia Booker had a good look at a three at the buzzer that bounced off the back of the rim.
The win, the ninth straight for Ben Howland’s team, moves UCLA to 4-0 in the Pac-12.
It begs the question: are the Bruins the best team in the Pac-12?
Frankly, it looks like they are. Arizona lost at Oregon on Thursday and probably should have lost at home to Colorado earlier this year. The Buffaloes haven’t been able to put together any kind of consistency this season.
The Bruins, on the other hand, are finally hitting their stride and will likely continue to get better. Remember, this team is still figuring out how to defend at this level. They’re never going to be a great defensive team, but with their ability to score and get up and down the floor, they don’t need to be.
Above average would suffice, and the Bruins can get there.
Thinking back to where UCLA was earlier this season, the turnaround is astonishing. Could anyone have predicted this?
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)