Jan 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Travis Wear is the best 15-foot jump shooter in the country. I felt that way heading into Saturday, and I’m even more convinced of it after Wear scored 23 points, hitting 11-17 from the floor, as the Bruins went into Boulder and knocked off Colorado, 78-75.
Jordan Adams and Shabazz Muhammad combined for 32 points and Kyle Anderson chipped in with 12 points, 10 boards and five assists for the Bruins, who nearly blew a double-digit second half lead. Colorado’s Askia Booker had a good look at a three at the buzzer that bounced off the back of the rim.
The win, the ninth straight for Ben Howland’s team, moves UCLA to 4-0 in the Pac-12.
It begs the question: are the Bruins the best team in the Pac-12?
Frankly, it looks like they are. Arizona lost at Oregon on Thursday and probably should have lost at home to Colorado earlier this year. The Buffaloes haven’t been able to put together any kind of consistency this season.
The Bruins, on the other hand, are finally hitting their stride and will likely continue to get better. Remember, this team is still figuring out how to defend at this level. They’re never going to be a great defensive team, but with their ability to score and get up and down the floor, they don’t need to be.
Above average would suffice, and the Bruins can get there.
Thinking back to where UCLA was earlier this season, the turnaround is astonishing. Could anyone have predicted this?
- Academic issues may sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 0
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (4)