Jan 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Travis Wear is the best 15-foot jump shooter in the country. I felt that way heading into Saturday, and I’m even more convinced of it after Wear scored 23 points, hitting 11-17 from the floor, as the Bruins went into Boulder and knocked off Colorado, 78-75.
Jordan Adams and Shabazz Muhammad combined for 32 points and Kyle Anderson chipped in with 12 points, 10 boards and five assists for the Bruins, who nearly blew a double-digit second half lead. Colorado’s Askia Booker had a good look at a three at the buzzer that bounced off the back of the rim.
The win, the ninth straight for Ben Howland’s team, moves UCLA to 4-0 in the Pac-12.
It begs the question: are the Bruins the best team in the Pac-12?
Frankly, it looks like they are. Arizona lost at Oregon on Thursday and probably should have lost at home to Colorado earlier this year. The Buffaloes haven’t been able to put together any kind of consistency this season.
The Bruins, on the other hand, are finally hitting their stride and will likely continue to get better. Remember, this team is still figuring out how to defend at this level. They’re never going to be a great defensive team, but with their ability to score and get up and down the floor, they don’t need to be.
Above average would suffice, and the Bruins can get there.
Thinking back to where UCLA was earlier this season, the turnaround is astonishing. Could anyone have predicted this?
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)