Jan 13, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
Entering Sunday’s game at Northwestern with an 0-3 Big Ten record it was rather evident that the Iowa Hawkeyes needed a victory.
And win they did, as Devyn Marble made his return to the lineup after missing the loss to Michigan State with an ankle injury and Aaron White scored 17 points to lead Iowa to the 70-50 win.
In a game that lacked much in the way of suspense in the second half there was one moment that stuck out, and it involved White, head coach Fran McCaffery and the shoe of Northwestern guard Alex Marcotullio.
With the Hawkeyes leading 51-37 Marcotullio lost his shoe while defending Marble, and instead of simply allowing the wayward shoe to remain on the court and become a possible injury risk White picked it up and tossed it off the court.
Iowa, who is off until Wisconsin visits Iowa City on Saturday, picked up two things in Evanston today: a much-needed victory and a good laugh.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)