Jan 13, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
Entering Sunday’s game at Northwestern with an 0-3 Big Ten record it was rather evident that the Iowa Hawkeyes needed a victory.
And win they did, as Devyn Marble made his return to the lineup after missing the loss to Michigan State with an ankle injury and Aaron White scored 17 points to lead Iowa to the 70-50 win.
In a game that lacked much in the way of suspense in the second half there was one moment that stuck out, and it involved White, head coach Fran McCaffery and the shoe of Northwestern guard Alex Marcotullio.
With the Hawkeyes leading 51-37 Marcotullio lost his shoe while defending Marble, and instead of simply allowing the wayward shoe to remain on the court and become a possible injury risk White picked it up and tossed it off the court.
Iowa, who is off until Wisconsin visits Iowa City on Saturday, picked up two things in Evanston today: a much-needed victory and a good laugh.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)