Jan 13, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
Former Michigan State guard Brandan Kearney decided to transfer from the Big Ten school last month due primarily to his desire for a larger role on the offensive end of the floor. Apparently he’s found that fit.
According to multiple reports the Detroit native will transfer to Arizona State, where he will be eligible to play at the end of the fall semester next season. Kearney played close to 17 minutes per game this season, posting averages of 2.4 points and 1.5 rebounds per game.
Kearney and Valparaiso transfer Richie Edwards, who is sitting out this season per NCAA transfer rules, will have the opportunity to earn playing time next season with forward Carrick Felix and guard Chris Colvin both graduating at the end of the 2012-13 campaign.
Herb Sendek’s program also has two signees in the 2013 class: Los Angeles (Price HS) point guard Chance Murray and small forward Egor Koulechov out of the Sagemont Upper School in Weston, Florida.
Originally born in Russia, Koulechov averaged 19.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game for Israel in the U-18 European Championships in August.
According to Doug Haller of AZCentral Sports Kearney visited the Pac-12 school last week, and he will be in Tempe for the start of classes on Monday.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)