Jan 13, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
Former Michigan State guard Brandan Kearney decided to transfer from the Big Ten school last month due primarily to his desire for a larger role on the offensive end of the floor. Apparently he’s found that fit.
According to multiple reports the Detroit native will transfer to Arizona State, where he will be eligible to play at the end of the fall semester next season. Kearney played close to 17 minutes per game this season, posting averages of 2.4 points and 1.5 rebounds per game.
Kearney and Valparaiso transfer Richie Edwards, who is sitting out this season per NCAA transfer rules, will have the opportunity to earn playing time next season with forward Carrick Felix and guard Chris Colvin both graduating at the end of the 2012-13 campaign.
Herb Sendek’s program also has two signees in the 2013 class: Los Angeles (Price HS) point guard Chance Murray and small forward Egor Koulechov out of the Sagemont Upper School in Weston, Florida.
Originally born in Russia, Koulechov averaged 19.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game for Israel in the U-18 European Championships in August.
According to Doug Haller of AZCentral Sports Kearney visited the Pac-12 school last week, and he will be in Tempe for the start of classes on Monday.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)