Jan 13, 2013, 9:03 PM EST
Former Michigan State guard Brandan Kearney decided to transfer from the Big Ten school last month due primarily to his desire for a larger role on the offensive end of the floor. Apparently he’s found that fit.
According to multiple reports the Detroit native will transfer to Arizona State, where he will be eligible to play at the end of the fall semester next season. Kearney played close to 17 minutes per game this season, posting averages of 2.4 points and 1.5 rebounds per game.
Kearney and Valparaiso transfer Richie Edwards, who is sitting out this season per NCAA transfer rules, will have the opportunity to earn playing time next season with forward Carrick Felix and guard Chris Colvin both graduating at the end of the 2012-13 campaign.
Herb Sendek’s program also has two signees in the 2013 class: Los Angeles (Price HS) point guard Chance Murray and small forward Egor Koulechov out of the Sagemont Upper School in Weston, Florida.
Originally born in Russia, Koulechov averaged 19.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game for Israel in the U-18 European Championships in August.
According to Doug Haller of AZCentral Sports Kearney visited the Pac-12 school last week, and he will be in Tempe for the start of classes on Monday.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)