Jan 14, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Player of the Week: Elston Turner, Texas A&M
Is this even really a conversation? On Saturday afternoon, Turner went into Rupp Arena and put on one of the most impressive performances that we’ve seen this season: 40 points. 14-19 shooting. 6-10 threes. Six boards, four assists and not a single turnover.
More importantly, he led the Aggies to a win over Kentucky. On Wednesday, he had 15 points as Texas A&M knocked off Arkansas at home. The Aggies actually have one of the better RPIs in the SEC, and with the lack of quality wins that are going to be available during league play — there are only two teams that are notable enough to be considered quality wins, and A&M only gets Florida and Missouri once apiece — A&M couldn’t afford losing to a team with a profile like Kentucky.
Turner has been one of the bright spots for A&M this season. The Washington transfer is leading the team in scoring, averaging 17.9 points, while shooting 44.2% from distance. They’ll need him to continue shooting that way on Thursday, as Florida comes to town in the biggest game of the year to date for Billy Kennedy’s club.
The All-They-Were-Good-Too Team
- G: Aaron Craft, Ohio State: Craft at 15 points in a win at Purdue on Wednesday, which is nice but not the reason that he made this list. On Saturday, as the Buckeyes handed Michigan their first loss of the season, Craft some of the best defense that you will see this season. He frustrated Michigan’s all-american point guard, which completely stagnated Michigan’s offense.
- G: Shabazz Napier, UConn: The fact that Shabazz Napier was left off of the Cousy List, which rates the 20 best point guards in the country, borders on criminal. He’s been sensational this season leading UConn in a year where the Huskies have, quite literally, no postseason to play for. This week he was at it again, averaging 17.5 points, 6.5 boards, 5.5 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting 50% from the floor and 50% from beyond the arc and committing just a single turnover in 74 minutes. Oh yeah, and UConn beat DePaul and won at Notre Dame.
- F: CJ Fair, Syracuse: We’ve been waiting for CJ Fair to start fulfilling his vast potential, and this week the 6-foot-8 lefty looked like a lottery pick. He averaged 22.5 points, 8.0 boards and 4.0 blocks in wins over Villanova and Providence, shooting 14-25 from the field and 16-18 from the free throw line.
- F: Doug McDermott, Creighton: McDermott had arguably the most impressive performance of his career on Friday night. McDermott had 28 of his 39 points in the second half. He hit his first 10 shots from the field in the second half and made 14 straight shots overall. He scored all 18 points in an 18-5 run to start the second half that blew the game open.
- C: Alex Kirk, New Mexico: The Lobos jumped out to a 2-0 start in the Mountain West with wins over Fresno State and UNLV, and Kirk was one of the biggest reasons why. He went for 23 points and nine boards, outplaying Anthony Bennett and Khem Birch in the win against the Rebels, and followed that up with 19 points, 14 boards and two blocks against the Bulldogs.
- Bench: Sean Armand (Iona), Kelly Olynyk (Gonzaga), Devon Saddler (Delaware), CJ Wilcox (Washington)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Florida International had some bad luck over the weekend.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major has returned to the team.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board
Sep 15, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Brown is a 6-foot-7 powerhouse that has drawn some comparisons to Stanley Johnson.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
It’s the second recruit UCLA has lost this week.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The NCAA is trying to improve their ability to apply common sense to rules interpretations.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
They’ll be out there for six full days. To get tickets to watch a practice.
Sep 15, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
Avery Harriman continues his third battle with leukemia.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
It was less a shot at Coach K than it was a shot at USA Basketball.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
The best players in the D.C. area competed at DMVElite 80 over the weekend.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
Of Wyoming’s five 2015 verbal commitments, three have come from Florida natives.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
The Tabor Academy forward picked Fordham over offers from Duquesne, Quinnipiac and Saint Joseph’s.
Sep 14, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
With Anthony Drmic and Derrick Marks both being seniors, this is an important addition for the Broncos.
Sep 14, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product is expected pick from Rhode Island, Seton Hall and South Carolina.
Sep 14, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Playing with an all-star team this summer helped the Arkansas transfer shake off the rust accumulated during his season on the sidelines.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)