Jan 14, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Player of the Week: Elston Turner, Texas A&M
Is this even really a conversation? On Saturday afternoon, Turner went into Rupp Arena and put on one of the most impressive performances that we’ve seen this season: 40 points. 14-19 shooting. 6-10 threes. Six boards, four assists and not a single turnover.
More importantly, he led the Aggies to a win over Kentucky. On Wednesday, he had 15 points as Texas A&M knocked off Arkansas at home. The Aggies actually have one of the better RPIs in the SEC, and with the lack of quality wins that are going to be available during league play — there are only two teams that are notable enough to be considered quality wins, and A&M only gets Florida and Missouri once apiece — A&M couldn’t afford losing to a team with a profile like Kentucky.
Turner has been one of the bright spots for A&M this season. The Washington transfer is leading the team in scoring, averaging 17.9 points, while shooting 44.2% from distance. They’ll need him to continue shooting that way on Thursday, as Florida comes to town in the biggest game of the year to date for Billy Kennedy’s club.
The All-They-Were-Good-Too Team
- G: Aaron Craft, Ohio State: Craft at 15 points in a win at Purdue on Wednesday, which is nice but not the reason that he made this list. On Saturday, as the Buckeyes handed Michigan their first loss of the season, Craft some of the best defense that you will see this season. He frustrated Michigan’s all-american point guard, which completely stagnated Michigan’s offense.
- G: Shabazz Napier, UConn: The fact that Shabazz Napier was left off of the Cousy List, which rates the 20 best point guards in the country, borders on criminal. He’s been sensational this season leading UConn in a year where the Huskies have, quite literally, no postseason to play for. This week he was at it again, averaging 17.5 points, 6.5 boards, 5.5 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting 50% from the floor and 50% from beyond the arc and committing just a single turnover in 74 minutes. Oh yeah, and UConn beat DePaul and won at Notre Dame.
- F: CJ Fair, Syracuse: We’ve been waiting for CJ Fair to start fulfilling his vast potential, and this week the 6-foot-8 lefty looked like a lottery pick. He averaged 22.5 points, 8.0 boards and 4.0 blocks in wins over Villanova and Providence, shooting 14-25 from the field and 16-18 from the free throw line.
- F: Doug McDermott, Creighton: McDermott had arguably the most impressive performance of his career on Friday night. McDermott had 28 of his 39 points in the second half. He hit his first 10 shots from the field in the second half and made 14 straight shots overall. He scored all 18 points in an 18-5 run to start the second half that blew the game open.
- C: Alex Kirk, New Mexico: The Lobos jumped out to a 2-0 start in the Mountain West with wins over Fresno State and UNLV, and Kirk was one of the biggest reasons why. He went for 23 points and nine boards, outplaying Anthony Bennett and Khem Birch in the win against the Rebels, and followed that up with 19 points, 14 boards and two blocks against the Bulldogs.
- Bench: Sean Armand (Iona), Kelly Olynyk (Gonzaga), Devon Saddler (Delaware), CJ Wilcox (Washington)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
May 26, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
A couple of words the board at Rutgers might want to re-acquaint themselves with: “due” and “diligence”. Just weeks ago, Scarlet Knights men’s head basketball coach Mike Rice was fired for verbally and physically abusing his players during practice, in a scandal that also took down the school’s AD. Rutgers alum Eddie Jordan was hired…
May 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
We know the road to the 2014 national championship will end in Dallas (Arlington, whatevs) next season. Now we also know that the title chase will begin there as well. ESPN’s Jason King is reporting that eight teams will meet at American Airlines Center on November 8, headlined by a potential Top 25 matchup between…
May 25, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
Former Virginia guard Paul Jesperson has made his transfer decision today, and he’ll be joining the Northern Iowa Panthers. Jesperson, a former Wisconsin Mr. Basketball, got off to a slow start in Charlottesville, seeing little playing time as a freshman. As a sophomore, his defensive prowess earned him more minutes, but his offensive skills still…
May 25, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Jesse Morgan had a rough season at UMass last season, to say the least. Morgan, along with teammates Cady Lalanne and Trey Davis, was suspended from a preseason exhibition game for undisclosed disciplinary reasons. Then he went down with a season-ending ACL injury on January 10, in the midst of his strongest season to date.…
May 25, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
We just found out that Mike Krzyzewski will continue to shepherd America’s elite international basketball squad. Amid a tacit assertion of predictability in the coaching ranks, Coach K paid lip service to the notion that it’s time for USA Basketball to physically move out of its current offices in Colorado Springs. “I think in the near future…
May 25, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Former Texas Tech and Santa Clara guard Decensae White was arrested on murder charges stemming from the death of a rapper from Georgia named Lil’ Phat. White played at Texas Tech from 2006-2008 and was a member of the Santa Clara program during the 2008-2009 season. After a hiatus from the sport, White returned this…
May 25, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Myles Turner is one of the hottest names on the AAU circuit this spring. The 6-foot-11 center Euless, TX, has the kind of length and athleticism that makes scouts drool, and he just so happens to have a face-up game and the ability to knock down a jump shot in pick-and-pop actions. That’s why he’s…
May 25, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
EAGAN, Mn. — As the EYBL nears the end of its regular season over Memorial Day weekend near Minneapolis, many of the top uncommitted players in the 2014 class are seeing their recruitments pick up before the summer months begin. One player drawing tons of attention is Alabama Challenge shooting guard Devin Booker. The 6-5…
May 25, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Lamar and head coach Pat Knight announced on Friday the signing of three junior college players to add to Lamar’s latest recruiting class. The Cardinals will add a pair of forwards in Octavius Green and Tyran de Lattibeaudiere, and also add potential All-Name Team member and point guard Nimrod Hilliard. Lamar had previously signed junior…
May 25, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Oregon State senior forward Joe Burton will graduate from the school in June after a four-year career and over 1,000 points scored. But although many college players with such a pedigree look to play professional basketball after their careers end — as Burton will also do — Burton’s mother said that he could also go…
May 24, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
With Javon McCrea and Cameron Downing entering their senior campaign at Buffalo, first-year head coach Bobby Hurley can use some additional front court depth that will benefit the Bulls in 2014. Hurley’s numbers received a boost on Friday afternoon, as it was reported by Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com that former Marshall forward Jamir Hanner has…
May 24, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
According to the Idaho Statesman, Boise State freshman forward Vukasin Vujovic has decided to leave the program. In his one season at Boise State, the native of Serbia saw action in just nine of the Broncos’ 32 games. In those nine games the 6-9 Vujovic averaged just 4.0 minutes and 1.4 points per game. Vujovic’s…
May 24, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
When it was announced just over a month ago that Central Connecticut State leading scorer Kyle Vinales would look to transfer, the biggest factor in his decision was a desire to reach postseason play. Vinales, who averaged nearly 22 points per game as a sophomore, at one point tweeted his decision to transfer to Toledo only…
May 24, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
With the recent news that former Purdue forward Sandi Marcius would transfer to DePaul, it was only a matter of time before the other shoe dropped in this scenario. That would be Donnavan Kirk looking to finish his collegiate career at another institution. On Friday the school announced that it has granted Kirk permission to…
May 24, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Last November the organizers of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off announced its completed eight-team field, with programs such as Florida State, Georgetown and Michigan being confirmed participants. Also among the eight teams: Auburn. But apparently something changed with the Tigers’ schedule, leading to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com that Northeastern would be the eighth…
May 24, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
During the spring multiple allegations surfaced regarding Green Bay head coach Brian Wardle’s treatment of some of his players, and some of the charges went well beyond the use of profane language. In one instance former center Ryan Bross alleged that he was forced to run sprints until ultimately soiling his shorts, despite stating the…
May 24, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
In an appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show” this morning, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski discusses topics such as his decision to return as head coach of the US men’s national team for the 2016 Summer Olympics and his future at Duke. Also of note were Krzyzewski’s comments on incoming freshman Jabari Parker, stating that…
May 24, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Earlier this week an advertisement for Calhoun’s BBQ done by former Tennessee basketball player Steven Pearl hit the airwaves, and it included a reference to current Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft. But that reference has led to the compliance department at Ohio State getting involved, looking to make sure it’s clear that there was…
May 24, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
In the aftermath of Sheldon Jeter’s decision to transfer from Vanderbilt it was reported that Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings was blocking Pittsburgh as a possible destination. Some assumed that tampering was the reason for the move, but according to a report by Andy Katz of ESPN.com that may not be the case. Regardless of…
May 24, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
With the graduation of leading scorers Brandon Paul and D.J. Richardson, there was a chance that 6-6 forward Myke Henry would see more opportunities to produce for Illinois in 2013-14. However it seems as if the Chicago native won’t be around to realize such possibilities, as it was reported by the Champaign News-Gazette that Henry…
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?