Jan 14, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Team of the Week: Ohio State
The Buckeyes certainly weren’t concerned with the number of people questioning whether or not they deserved to be mentioned as a contender in the Big Ten, and they did just about all that they could to prove to the country that they deserve to be mentioned alongside Indiana, Michigan and Minnesota. After going into Mackey Arena and beating a Purdue fairly soundly during the week, Ohio State put on one of the more impressive defensive performances that we’ve seen this season as they handed Michigan their first loss of the season on Sunday.
There were a lot of teams that did some impressive things this week, but I don’t think any of it was as valuable as what the Buckeyes were able to do. The Big Ten is absolutely loaded at the top of the league, and I think most have accepted the fact that Indiana and Michigan are the two most likely teams to win the conference. But the same way that Minnesota stated their case for relevancy by blowing out Illinois and storming back against the Hoosiers on the road, Ohio State did the same with their wins.
Five Teams Deserving a Shoutout
- Oregon: Oregon is in the same boat as Ohio State. After beating then-undefeated Arizona at home on Thursday night, the Ducks knocked off Arizona State late on Sunday night. Oregon is now 3-0 in the Pac-12 and just a half-game behind UCLA, who they play on Saturday night in Pauley Pavilion. That one should be fun.
- Miami: Playing without starting center Reggie Johnson, the Hurricanes went into the Dean Dome and knocked off North Carolina, following that up with a win at home over Maryland. They are now tied with NC State for first place in the ACC. And they’ve spent about a month of the season playing at 100%. This team is for real.
- Butler: I’m not sure that the Bulldogs could have imagined kicking off their tenure in the Atlantic 10 in a better way. On Wednesday, the Bulldogs went into Philly and knocked off St. Joe’s 72-66 on the strength of 28 points from Rotnei Clarke. They followed that up on Saturday with a win at Dayton in which Clarke suffered a scary neck injury and had to be taken off the court on a stretcher. That’s impressive.
- Boise State: Playing without four players — including leading scorer Derrick Marks, Boise State went to Wyoming and handed the Cowboys their first loss of the season in utterly thrilling fashion. After blowing a seven-point lead in the final two minutes, Jeff Elorriaga buried a three at the buzzer for the win. The Mountain West is going to be awesome this year.
- NC State: It doesn’t matter that Ryan Kelly was sitting out and Seth Curry spent the end of the game dealing with yet another injury. NC State still beat Duke in a game that they absolutely needed to: a) help bolster their tournament profile, and b) put them in the driver’s seat for an ACC regular season title. CJ Leslie had 25 points in the win while Richard Howell went for 16 points and 18 boards.
The Best of the Rest: Evansville, Indiana, Long Beach State, Northeastern, Ole Miss, Stephen F. Austin, UCLA, Wisconsin.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
May 3, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Former Old Dominion forward Richard Ross is continuing to pursue the NFL and has been invited to a mini-camp.
May 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
North Carolina commit Jalek Felton is fun to watch.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
After being dismissed from Oregon, Dominic Artis spent a year at Diablo Valley CC in California but did not play basketball.
May 2, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
Nwamu averaged 15.1 points per game and shot 37.4 percent from three at Mercer last season.
May 2, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Dakota Slaughter didn’t see much playing time at Alabama, but that could change at UTPA.
May 2, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
A high-level perimeter shooter, Williams can help a team that was lacking in that area in 2014-15.
May 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
ECU scholarship athletes in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball will receive an extra $4,025 in scholarship money beginning August 1.
May 2, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Florida has four Class of 2015 recruits signed for next season.
May 2, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
De’Aaron Fox is one of the elite players in the Class of 2016 and he’s spending the spring focusing on defense and being a leader.
May 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Jaylen Brown’s commitment shook up the college basketball world on Friday night.
May 2, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Arizona State is losing a sophomore guard to transfer
May 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Ahmad Walker is returning to Stony Brook after a season in the junior college ranks.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Baylor commit Mark Vital gets it done when it comes to dunks.
May 1, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
The return of Buddy Hield pushes previously unranked Oklahoma into our way too early rankings.
May 1, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Jaylen Brown ended his long and complicated recruitment and committed on Friday night.
May 1, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
Former Miami (OH) point guard Quinten Rollins transitioned to football after his college basketball career finished and now he’s been drafted to the NFL.
May 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Indiana freshman center Jeremiah April will transfer.
May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Sterling Gibbs is on his way to UConn.
May 1, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
Top 150 wing Troy Baxter has decided on his future.
May 1, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Harvard landed a commitment from its point guard of the future.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)