Jan 14, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
As expected, Laurence Bowers will be out of the lineup for Missouri on Wednesday as the Tigers take on Georgia.
Haith says Laurence Bowers won't play WED, will be re-evaluated: "We're not gonna rush him back...He's gonna be 100% or really ready."—
Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) January 14, 2013
Without their leading scorer on the floor, Missouri’s offense was anemic against a better-than-you-think Ole Miss team. The Tigers managed all of 49 points and 0.73 PPP — both season-lows by a long shot — against the Rebels, as they shot all of 2-18 from beyond the arc while Phil Pressey managed just five assists to go along with five turnovers.
Losing Bowers hurts the Tigers two ways.
For starters, he’s the team’s best perimeter shooter, and he just so happens to do so from the power forward spot. Not only does his presence create space for Pressey to penetrate, it does so while drawing one of an opponent’s biggest players out of the paint. Pressey is about 5-foot-8. He has enough trouble finishing in the lane as it is. Getting another big guy out of the way is a major bonus.
Not only is Bowers a terrific shooters, but he’s simply an all-around efficient offensive player. He can penetrate from the perimeter, he can score in the post. He’s effective in pick-and-roll situations. The Tigers tend to be too reliant on the inefficient Pressey at the point with Bowers on the floor.
Without him? Well, you see what happens.
The good news is that the injury isn’t serious. There were no ‘ifs’ in Haith’s quote in the tweet above; the only question is ‘when’.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 1
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)