Jan 14, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
As expected, Laurence Bowers will be out of the lineup for Missouri on Wednesday as the Tigers take on Georgia.
Haith says Laurence Bowers won't play WED, will be re-evaluated: "We're not gonna rush him back...He's gonna be 100% or really ready."—
Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) January 14, 2013
Without their leading scorer on the floor, Missouri’s offense was anemic against a better-than-you-think Ole Miss team. The Tigers managed all of 49 points and 0.73 PPP — both season-lows by a long shot — against the Rebels, as they shot all of 2-18 from beyond the arc while Phil Pressey managed just five assists to go along with five turnovers.
Losing Bowers hurts the Tigers two ways.
For starters, he’s the team’s best perimeter shooter, and he just so happens to do so from the power forward spot. Not only does his presence create space for Pressey to penetrate, it does so while drawing one of an opponent’s biggest players out of the paint. Pressey is about 5-foot-8. He has enough trouble finishing in the lane as it is. Getting another big guy out of the way is a major bonus.
Not only is Bowers a terrific shooters, but he’s simply an all-around efficient offensive player. He can penetrate from the perimeter, he can score in the post. He’s effective in pick-and-roll situations. The Tigers tend to be too reliant on the inefficient Pressey at the point with Bowers on the floor.
Without him? Well, you see what happens.
The good news is that the injury isn’t serious. There were no ‘ifs’ in Haith’s quote in the tweet above; the only question is ‘when’.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)