Jan 14, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 1 Louisville at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Call me crazy, but I think that UConn has a real chance to knock off Louisville tonight at the XL Center in Hartford. With the Cardinals taking over the reins as the No. 1 team in the country tonight, UConn is playing without an ounce of pressure on them this season. They, quite literally, have nothing to lose. Regardless of what they do this season, the Huskies are ineligible from tournament play due to APR sanctions from the Jim Calhoun days.
A team with nothing to lose is a dangerous team, and I happen to think that the Huskies matchup pretty well with Louisville, mainly because they have a back court — Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright — that is talented enough to beat Louisville’s pressure while avoiding turnovers. If Deandre Daniels plays the way he has through three Big East games, Louisville could find themselves heading back to the Commonwealth with a loss.
Who’s Getting Upset?: See above
Five Things to Watch For
1) Big Monday happens tonight for the first time this season, and as someone that grew up on Big East basketball, I can tell you that it’s bittersweet. This is the last season where Big Monday will truly be Big Monday.
2) Baylor will be taking on Kansas in the nightcap at 9:00 p.m. ET, but there is much less hype heading into this season’s matchup between the Bears and the Jayhawks. Baylor has the roster makeup to give Kansas a scare, as seven-footer Isaiah Austin is talented enough to force Jeff Withey to cover him on the perimeter. But, simply put, I just don’t trust Baylor anymore.
3) Davidson is sitting at 4-0 in the Big South’s Southern division, but they aren’t the only undefeated team in that conference. Up in the Northern division, Western Carolina is sitting at 4-0 as well as going 3-9 in non-conference play. The Catamounts take on Elon tonight.
4) Southern has ripped off six straight wins to take control of first place in the SWAC. They host Mississippi Valley State tonight.
5) No Damian Lillard, no big deal. Weber State puts their 5-0 record on the line by heading to Idaho State tonight.
The Top 25
- No. 1 Louisville at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Baylor at No. 4 Kansas (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Other Notable Games
- Davidson at Georgia Southern (7:00 p.m. ET)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)