Jan 14, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Game of the Day: No. 1 Louisville at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Call me crazy, but I think that UConn has a real chance to knock off Louisville tonight at the XL Center in Hartford. With the Cardinals taking over the reins as the No. 1 team in the country tonight, UConn is playing without an ounce of pressure on them this season. They, quite literally, have nothing to lose. Regardless of what they do this season, the Huskies are ineligible from tournament play due to APR sanctions from the Jim Calhoun days.
A team with nothing to lose is a dangerous team, and I happen to think that the Huskies matchup pretty well with Louisville, mainly because they have a back court — Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright — that is talented enough to beat Louisville’s pressure while avoiding turnovers. If Deandre Daniels plays the way he has through three Big East games, Louisville could find themselves heading back to the Commonwealth with a loss.
Who’s Getting Upset?: See above
Five Things to Watch For
1) Big Monday happens tonight for the first time this season, and as someone that grew up on Big East basketball, I can tell you that it’s bittersweet. This is the last season where Big Monday will truly be Big Monday.
2) Baylor will be taking on Kansas in the nightcap at 9:00 p.m. ET, but there is much less hype heading into this season’s matchup between the Bears and the Jayhawks. Baylor has the roster makeup to give Kansas a scare, as seven-footer Isaiah Austin is talented enough to force Jeff Withey to cover him on the perimeter. But, simply put, I just don’t trust Baylor anymore.
3) Davidson is sitting at 4-0 in the Big South’s Southern division, but they aren’t the only undefeated team in that conference. Up in the Northern division, Western Carolina is sitting at 4-0 as well as going 3-9 in non-conference play. The Catamounts take on Elon tonight.
4) Southern has ripped off six straight wins to take control of first place in the SWAC. They host Mississippi Valley State tonight.
5) No Damian Lillard, no big deal. Weber State puts their 5-0 record on the line by heading to Idaho State tonight.
The Top 25
- No. 1 Louisville at UConn (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Baylor at No. 4 Kansas (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Other Notable Games
- Davidson at Georgia Southern (7:00 p.m. ET)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)