Jan 14, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
So much for Rotnei Clarke being taken to “another county” to miss Saturday’s game.
Butler announced Monday night that the Bulldogs’ leading scorer will miss the next two games with a sprained neck. He was taken off on a stretcher after crashing head-first in the basket support in a victory over Dayton on Saturday.
This comes on the heels of an earlier story that Conley Clarke, Rotnei’s father, said in order for Rotnei not to play Saturday against no. 9 Gonzaga “they going to have to take him to another county.”
This means Clarke, a fifth-year senior who is averaging 16.3 points per game, will miss Wednesday’s game against Richmond, the team’s Atlantic 10 Conference home opener, and Saturday’s game with the Zags, also at Hinkle Fieldhouse.
“Rotnei saw a spine specialist today and based on that visit and his previous examinations, we felt it was in his best interest to hold him out this week,” said Butler Head Athletic Trainer Ryan Galloy said in the release. “He is making progress and we will continue to evaluate him.”
The release also states that Clarke “has not been cleared for full physical contact in practice and continues to be evaluated by Butler’s medical team.”
Well, credit to Butler for making this easier on the media-types. We love transparent and we love quick.
As far as the match-up, this is a huge blow in a game that could be a potential tournament resume sealer. A win against the Zags, paired with even a decent A-10 record, would make them a pretty solid bet to get an at-large bid to the Dance.
This means that Gonzaga doesn’t have to worry as much about the three, but it also is one less guard for Kevin Pangos to beat one-on-one. I said in an earlier post I wasn’t sure that Clarke could guard him, anyway. But the threat of Clarke was always somewhat of an x-factor. Now it’s going to be up to guys like Roosevelt Jones and Kellen Dunham to pick up the slack.
It’ll also be worth watching to see if Butler gets Chase Stigall back into the mix. He’s been basically non-existent for about a month. Maybe this forces him into extended action.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)