Jan 14, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Rotnei Clarke gave college basketball fans a “hold your breath” moment on Saturday when he was taken off the court on a stretcher after he was fouled by Matt Derenbecker on a breakaway lay-up and crashed head-first into the basket support in a 79-73 victory over Dayton.
Turns out that Clarke sustained no spinal damage in the incident, but there is no timetable for his return.
Well, mark down Conley Clarke, Rotnei’s father, as one of those who thinks his sharpshooting son will return sooner rather than later.
The Bulldogs, ranked no. 14, play at home against no. 9 Gonzaga on Saturday.
“If they’re thinking about not letting him play Saturday,” the father said, “they’re going to have to take him to another county.”
David Woods of the Indianapolis Star reported in the story that Clarke was back shooting in the gym on Sunday, so that’s a good sign. Conley added that his son will abide by the doctor’s advice. An MRI revealed a significant neck sprain.
“His spinal cord and cervical discs were viewed normal,” Galloy said. “Right now, he’s sore and stiff, but he’s out of the collar. The next question is when he can resume contact.”
Getting Clarke back would be a huge help offensively against a team like Gonzaga, who are pretty good on the perimeter. They shoot 36.5-percent from three. I’m not sure he could guard Kevin Pangos one-on-one — or if Brad Stevens would even let him — but his deep-threat abilities could force forwards to come out on screens and picks and open up the inside for Andrew Smith and Khyle Marshall.
Clarke is averaging a team-leading 16.2 points per game this season.
As far as what his dad has said, that sounds like a parent saying what parents say. Neck sprains really effect ones ability to play well when rotating in a zone on the perimeter and generally limits court vision — no way to keep your head on a swivel if you can’t move it. I’d expect this week might be the best treatment week ever for Clarke. Neck massages for everyone!
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)