Jan 14, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
This was supposed to be a season of promise for Seton Hall, but now coach Kevin Willard has yet another reason to kick something.
Forward Brandon Mobley, went down with a separated right shoulder in the game. Today Jerry Carino is reporting that Mobley’s MRI on the shoulder isn’t helping matters.
“It doesn’t look good,” Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard said. “Hopefully we won’t have to have surgery on it.”
The 6-9 Mobley, who is averaging 9.5 points per game, is now the latest in a long line of injuries for the Pirates, who are still a respectable 12-5 overall, but 1-3 in Big East Conference play.
In all, Mobley, a sophomore, is the sixth player to be hit with an injury this season. Patrik Auda (redshirting due to a foot injury), Brian Oliver (coming back from an ankle sprain), Aaron Geramipoor and Kevin Johnson are also on the mend from injuries and coming back. Aaron Cosby missed time in the preseason with a knee injury.
Injuries are something I’ll never fault a team for, short of the coaches just pulling a Billy Gillispie and putting their players through hell. Mobley has been a steady presence for Seton Hall all season, so it’s safe to say that this is the most significant blow to a Pirates’ roster that has seen it’s share of significant blows this year.
As far as a timetable for his return, there has been no word.
So who steps in for Mobley, should he be out for a lengthy amount of time? Carino mentions Haralds Karlis in the story. The 6-5 sophomore scored 11 points in the loss to the Friars. Center Gene Teague, a redshirt junior who trails only Fuquan Edwin averaging 12.5 points per game, will definitely be asked to take more of the load inside. There’s really no other healthy options, at least that would be effective. Look for Seton Hall to apply the “by-committee” title to a lot of areas, with so many injuries,
The situation isn’t insurmountable for Seton Hall. Getting guys healthy will be the key. But that’s going to have to happen while pushing through the final season of the Big East as we all know it. Four of their next six games are on the road and they include trips to Marquette, Georgetown and Pittsburgh with a home date against Cincinnati thrown in.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)