Jan 14, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
According to the Star-Tribune, there were charges filed against Martinez this weekend as a result of the incident.
Martinez is the second-leading scorer for the Cowboys, a team that remained undefeated until last week and that has set themselves up nicely for a run at an NCAA tournament berth. There is no doubt that this injury — and the suspension — puts a dent into those plans.
While I will say that most coaches, in this situation, wouldn’t necessarily suspended Martinez, I don’t want to heap too much praise on Larry Shyatt just yet. Martinez has a broken finger, after all. And until he’s sitting on the bench in street clothes when healthy, than the suspension is simply for show.
Regardless of what happens to Martinez, however, this is a perfect example of why it’s generally a terrible idea to get in a bar fight at 2:30 a.m. when you are the second-leading scorer on a college basketball team.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)