Jan 14, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
According to the Star-Tribune, there were charges filed against Martinez this weekend as a result of the incident.
Martinez is the second-leading scorer for the Cowboys, a team that remained undefeated until last week and that has set themselves up nicely for a run at an NCAA tournament berth. There is no doubt that this injury — and the suspension — puts a dent into those plans.
While I will say that most coaches, in this situation, wouldn’t necessarily suspended Martinez, I don’t want to heap too much praise on Larry Shyatt just yet. Martinez has a broken finger, after all. And until he’s sitting on the bench in street clothes when healthy, than the suspension is simply for show.
Regardless of what happens to Martinez, however, this is a perfect example of why it’s generally a terrible idea to get in a bar fight at 2:30 a.m. when you are the second-leading scorer on a college basketball team.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five (2)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- Throwback Thursday: Juan Dixon and company win Maryland’s lone national title (2)
- Former Oklahoma State guard suing university, head coach Travis Ford (2)
- Colorado State finds difficulty scheduling good non-conference games (1)