Jan 14, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
According to the Star-Tribune, there were charges filed against Martinez this weekend as a result of the incident.
Martinez is the second-leading scorer for the Cowboys, a team that remained undefeated until last week and that has set themselves up nicely for a run at an NCAA tournament berth. There is no doubt that this injury — and the suspension — puts a dent into those plans.
While I will say that most coaches, in this situation, wouldn’t necessarily suspended Martinez, I don’t want to heap too much praise on Larry Shyatt just yet. Martinez has a broken finger, after all. And until he’s sitting on the bench in street clothes when healthy, than the suspension is simply for show.
Regardless of what happens to Martinez, however, this is a perfect example of why it’s generally a terrible idea to get in a bar fight at 2:30 a.m. when you are the second-leading scorer on a college basketball team.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0