Jan 14, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
According to the Star-Tribune, there were charges filed against Martinez this weekend as a result of the incident.
Martinez is the second-leading scorer for the Cowboys, a team that remained undefeated until last week and that has set themselves up nicely for a run at an NCAA tournament berth. There is no doubt that this injury — and the suspension — puts a dent into those plans.
While I will say that most coaches, in this situation, wouldn’t necessarily suspended Martinez, I don’t want to heap too much praise on Larry Shyatt just yet. Martinez has a broken finger, after all. And until he’s sitting on the bench in street clothes when healthy, than the suspension is simply for show.
Regardless of what happens to Martinez, however, this is a perfect example of why it’s generally a terrible idea to get in a bar fight at 2:30 a.m. when you are the second-leading scorer on a college basketball team.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)