Jan 15, 2013, 12:07 AM EDT
No. 4 Kansas looked every bit like the No. 4 team in the country on Monday night.
Their defense held Baylor to — get this — 23.2% shooting from the floor in a 61-44 win, getting 17 points and eight boards from star freshman Ben McLemore who continued his all-american caliber season. There’s a reason that McLemore’s name is popping up as the potential No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
But unfortunately, while McLemore was the story of the nightcap of the first Big Monday of the season had nothing to do with how well he played.
Towards the end of the game, McLemore drove middle and came to a jump-stop, rolling his right ankle as he landed awkwardly. It didn’t go all the way over, but McLemore was on the ground for a couple of minutes in a great deal of pain. He eventually walked off the court, but did so with a serious limp.
The extent of the injury is unknown as of now, but Self did have some interesting comments on the postgame radio show:
Self says on radio interview McLemore has a sprained ankle. Should be OK. McLemore says he heard a pop.—
CJ Moore (@cjmoore4) January 15, 2013
Losing McLemore for any extended period of time would be disastrous for the Jayhawks. He’s unquestionably their best scorer and go-to guy. Even with McLemore, Kansas has had some offensive issues over the last couple of games.
The good news? It looks like he’ll be back in two-or-three days.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)