Jan 15, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
Coach K is fired up about realignment again.
He first made his negative feelings toward schools jumping conferences public in November after Maryland announced its move to the Big Ten. At that time, he expressed concern for the future of the ACC, calling it “vulnerable” and predicting more movement.
Now on his Sirius XM radio show, Krzyzewski specifically criticized realignment for breaking the bonds of geographical rivalries and eliminating one of the unique competitive advantages of the sport.
“This is an assault on tradition,” said Krzyzewski. “What sets us apart from the pros? What sets us apart from the rest of the world? Intercollegiate sports is really something that only the United States has. No other country has that.
“And our thing is based on all the right values: loyalty, honesty, tradition,” he continued. “The branding that you have gotten from doing that has elevated the academic institutions that those athletic programs represent. And doing things the way we’re doing it now, based on money, I think it takes away from the academic missions and the innocence that an academic institution has.”
Krzyzewski went on to criticize the culture of decision-making and his concern for the lack of openness in the process.
“[Maryland] didn’t get public opinion from their alums, from the people there,” he said. “All these things are secret. It’s not out there. Some of it gets leaked, but in Maryland’s case it was never leaked. I’m really worried about that type of thinking.”
He makes some legitimate points, no doubt, but I do take issue with a technicality in part of his statement. The “academic missions and the innocence” of a school? I think that noble idea was lost a long time ago. Are college sports programs unique from the pros? Of course. But “innocent”? Let’s not go too far.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)