Jan 15, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Luke Martinez, the Wyoming forward that was suspended for his involvement in a bar fight that resulted in a broken hand, was arraigned today.
He was charged with aggravated assault and battery, and the details of the brawl were also made public.
Martinez was at a bar with teammates Derek Cooke and Nathan Sobley. According to a witness, a man took a swing at Martinez and missed. Cooke, in an effort to protect his teammate, punched the man in the temple, knocking him out cold. 15-20 seconds later, Martinez got a running start and kicked the man in the head when he was on the ground. According to the victim’s brother, he had multiple fractures in his jaw as a result and needed his jaw wired shut.
Martinez admitted to recklessly and knowingly causing serious injury to the victim.
That suspension Martinez is currently dealing with? It may last a while. In fact, I’m not sure he will be allowed to return to the school. I’m not going to pretend to know why the fight took place, but Martinez better have a really, really good reason for kicking a man laying in the street in the head.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)