Jan 15, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Luke Martinez, the Wyoming forward that was suspended for his involvement in a bar fight that resulted in a broken hand, was arraigned today.
He was charged with aggravated assault and battery, and the details of the brawl were also made public.
Martinez was at a bar with teammates Derek Cooke and Nathan Sobley. According to a witness, a man took a swing at Martinez and missed. Cooke, in an effort to protect his teammate, punched the man in the temple, knocking him out cold. 15-20 seconds later, Martinez got a running start and kicked the man in the head when he was on the ground. According to the victim’s brother, he had multiple fractures in his jaw as a result and needed his jaw wired shut.
Martinez admitted to recklessly and knowingly causing serious injury to the victim.
That suspension Martinez is currently dealing with? It may last a while. In fact, I’m not sure he will be allowed to return to the school. I’m not going to pretend to know why the fight took place, but Martinez better have a really, really good reason for kicking a man laying in the street in the head.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 1
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)