Jan 15, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Luke Martinez, the Wyoming forward that was suspended for his involvement in a bar fight that resulted in a broken hand, was arraigned today.
He was charged with aggravated assault and battery, and the details of the brawl were also made public.
Martinez was at a bar with teammates Derek Cooke and Nathan Sobley. According to a witness, a man took a swing at Martinez and missed. Cooke, in an effort to protect his teammate, punched the man in the temple, knocking him out cold. 15-20 seconds later, Martinez got a running start and kicked the man in the head when he was on the ground. According to the victim’s brother, he had multiple fractures in his jaw as a result and needed his jaw wired shut.
Martinez admitted to recklessly and knowingly causing serious injury to the victim.
That suspension Martinez is currently dealing with? It may last a while. In fact, I’m not sure he will be allowed to return to the school. I’m not going to pretend to know why the fight took place, but Martinez better have a really, really good reason for kicking a man laying in the street in the head.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)