Jan 15, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
The sexual abuse charge against suspended Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been dropped, prosecutors announced Monday in Ames, Iowa. The announcement is the first step toward allowing Palo to rejoin the Cyclones.
Iowa State suspended Palo in September after he was charged with second-degree sexual abuse. The alleged incident took place in May, when a woman accused him and another man of sexually abusing her after driving her home.
According to police, a series of inconsistencies in the woman’s story led to the dismissal of the charge.
“It’s always been taught, innocent until proven guilty. And I felt like I didn’t really have a chance to defend myself from people who would make these judgments against me,” Palo said at a news conference Monday, as reported by the Associated Press.
“I would say that hurt the most. Especially since my whole life I’d been raised to do the right thing. I would never make a mistake to this level.”
Iowa State released a statement Monday announcing that Palo would be allowed to resume basketball-related activities with the team. He last played for the Cyclones in a 2012 NCAA tournament loss to Kentucky in which he scored four points in 11 minutes.
During the 2011-12 season, he averaged 4.0 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game.
To read the entire report, click here.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)