Jan 15, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
The sexual abuse charge against suspended Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been dropped, prosecutors announced Monday in Ames, Iowa. The announcement is the first step toward allowing Palo to rejoin the Cyclones.
Iowa State suspended Palo in September after he was charged with second-degree sexual abuse. The alleged incident took place in May, when a woman accused him and another man of sexually abusing her after driving her home.
According to police, a series of inconsistencies in the woman’s story led to the dismissal of the charge.
“It’s always been taught, innocent until proven guilty. And I felt like I didn’t really have a chance to defend myself from people who would make these judgments against me,” Palo said at a news conference Monday, as reported by the Associated Press.
“I would say that hurt the most. Especially since my whole life I’d been raised to do the right thing. I would never make a mistake to this level.”
Iowa State released a statement Monday announcing that Palo would be allowed to resume basketball-related activities with the team. He last played for the Cyclones in a 2012 NCAA tournament loss to Kentucky in which he scored four points in 11 minutes.
During the 2011-12 season, he averaged 4.0 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game.
To read the entire report, click here.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)