Jan 15, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
The sexual abuse charge against suspended Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been dropped, prosecutors announced Monday in Ames, Iowa. The announcement is the first step toward allowing Palo to rejoin the Cyclones.
Iowa State suspended Palo in September after he was charged with second-degree sexual abuse. The alleged incident took place in May, when a woman accused him and another man of sexually abusing her after driving her home.
According to police, a series of inconsistencies in the woman’s story led to the dismissal of the charge.
“It’s always been taught, innocent until proven guilty. And I felt like I didn’t really have a chance to defend myself from people who would make these judgments against me,” Palo said at a news conference Monday, as reported by the Associated Press.
“I would say that hurt the most. Especially since my whole life I’d been raised to do the right thing. I would never make a mistake to this level.”
Iowa State released a statement Monday announcing that Palo would be allowed to resume basketball-related activities with the team. He last played for the Cyclones in a 2012 NCAA tournament loss to Kentucky in which he scored four points in 11 minutes.
During the 2011-12 season, he averaged 4.0 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game.
To read the entire report, click here.
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)