Jan 15, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
The sexual abuse charge against suspended Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been dropped, prosecutors announced Monday in Ames, Iowa. The announcement is the first step toward allowing Palo to rejoin the Cyclones.
Iowa State suspended Palo in September after he was charged with second-degree sexual abuse. The alleged incident took place in May, when a woman accused him and another man of sexually abusing her after driving her home.
According to police, a series of inconsistencies in the woman’s story led to the dismissal of the charge.
“It’s always been taught, innocent until proven guilty. And I felt like I didn’t really have a chance to defend myself from people who would make these judgments against me,” Palo said at a news conference Monday, as reported by the Associated Press.
“I would say that hurt the most. Especially since my whole life I’d been raised to do the right thing. I would never make a mistake to this level.”
Iowa State released a statement Monday announcing that Palo would be allowed to resume basketball-related activities with the team. He last played for the Cyclones in a 2012 NCAA tournament loss to Kentucky in which he scored four points in 11 minutes.
During the 2011-12 season, he averaged 4.0 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game.
To read the entire report, click here.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)