Jan 15, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
The sexual abuse charge against suspended Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been dropped, prosecutors announced Monday in Ames, Iowa. The announcement is the first step toward allowing Palo to rejoin the Cyclones.
Iowa State suspended Palo in September after he was charged with second-degree sexual abuse. The alleged incident took place in May, when a woman accused him and another man of sexually abusing her after driving her home.
According to police, a series of inconsistencies in the woman’s story led to the dismissal of the charge.
“It’s always been taught, innocent until proven guilty. And I felt like I didn’t really have a chance to defend myself from people who would make these judgments against me,” Palo said at a news conference Monday, as reported by the Associated Press.
“I would say that hurt the most. Especially since my whole life I’d been raised to do the right thing. I would never make a mistake to this level.”
Iowa State released a statement Monday announcing that Palo would be allowed to resume basketball-related activities with the team. He last played for the Cyclones in a 2012 NCAA tournament loss to Kentucky in which he scored four points in 11 minutes.
During the 2011-12 season, he averaged 4.0 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game.
To read the entire report, click here.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)