Jan 15, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
The sexual abuse charge against suspended Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been dropped, prosecutors announced Monday in Ames, Iowa. The announcement is the first step toward allowing Palo to rejoin the Cyclones.
Iowa State suspended Palo in September after he was charged with second-degree sexual abuse. The alleged incident took place in May, when a woman accused him and another man of sexually abusing her after driving her home.
According to police, a series of inconsistencies in the woman’s story led to the dismissal of the charge.
“It’s always been taught, innocent until proven guilty. And I felt like I didn’t really have a chance to defend myself from people who would make these judgments against me,” Palo said at a news conference Monday, as reported by the Associated Press.
“I would say that hurt the most. Especially since my whole life I’d been raised to do the right thing. I would never make a mistake to this level.”
Iowa State released a statement Monday announcing that Palo would be allowed to resume basketball-related activities with the team. He last played for the Cyclones in a 2012 NCAA tournament loss to Kentucky in which he scored four points in 11 minutes.
During the 2011-12 season, he averaged 4.0 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game.
To read the entire report, click here.
May 6, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Three of the six schools on this power forward’s list are in the SEC, including his home state’s flagship program.
May 6, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
Justin Robinson was originally supposed to be a preferred walk-on.
May 6, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Jordan Bell set a single-season school record for blocked shots with 94 last season.
May 6, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The rising junior is expected to be sidelined for four to six months.
May 6, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
This is a good pickup for a team that lost its best player in Pac-12 Player of the Year Joseph Young.
May 6, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
Olsen didn’t play much last season, with a nagging hip issue being one of the reasons why.
May 6, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT
No foul play is suspected in her death.
May 6, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
This is the leader in the clubhouse for craziest fan tattoo I have seen.
May 6, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
Stephen Curry seems like a pretty awesome guy.
May 6, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Football is the reason that Memphis is now playing Ole Miss.
May 6, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
While one coach on the list is coming off of an NCAA tournament appearance, there are others who are dealing with NCAA tournament droughts.
May 6, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Alonzo Nelson-Ododa blocked 185 shots in three seasons.
May 6, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
McNeil faces two felony charges for domestic violence.
May 6, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Stainbrook is a national treasure. Can we get this kid another year of eligibility?
May 6, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Kennedy has led the Rebels to the NCAA tournament two of the last three seasons.
May 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Duquesne picked up an impact guard for three more seasons.
May 5, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Nevada landed a Southern Illinois transfer at forward.
May 5, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Oklahoma State has added a big man who could help in the rotation if he’s eligible.
May 5, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Old Dominion is gaining a transfer from Illinois
May 5, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Florida looks like they’ll be losing a key member of their 2015 recruiting haul.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)