Jan 16, 2013, 8:45 AM EST
Cashmere Wright has been one of the best point guards in the Big East this season, averaging 14.8 points and 3.5 assists while shooting 43.6% from three, which is why Bearcat fans were so nervous when the redshirt senior went down in a heap on Tuesday evening.
Wright has had knee issues in the past, including a torn ACL in his left knee that kept him out all of the 2008-2009 season, so the Bearcats had a right to be worried.
There were two pieces of good news, however. For starters, it was Wright’s right knee that he hurt this time, not the surgically repaired left knee. And, after the game, reports seemed to indicate that Wright’s injury isn’t all that big of a deal. Mick Cronin told the Sporting News that his training staff was upbeat about it. (UPDATE: It appears to simply be a sprained knee.)
Wright’s value to this Cincinnati team was never more evident than on Tuesday. Wright hurt the knee with about 15 minutes left in the second half. At the time, he had 20 points, had scored or assisted on 15 of Cincinnati’s 21 field goals and had committed just two turnovers against DePaul’s pressure. With him out, the Bearcat’s offense took a hit, they started turning the ball over and they allowed the Blue Demons to make a game of it down the stretch.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)