Jan 16, 2013, 8:45 AM EST
Cashmere Wright has been one of the best point guards in the Big East this season, averaging 14.8 points and 3.5 assists while shooting 43.6% from three, which is why Bearcat fans were so nervous when the redshirt senior went down in a heap on Tuesday evening.
Wright has had knee issues in the past, including a torn ACL in his left knee that kept him out all of the 2008-2009 season, so the Bearcats had a right to be worried.
There were two pieces of good news, however. For starters, it was Wright’s right knee that he hurt this time, not the surgically repaired left knee. And, after the game, reports seemed to indicate that Wright’s injury isn’t all that big of a deal. Mick Cronin told the Sporting News that his training staff was upbeat about it. (UPDATE: It appears to simply be a sprained knee.)
Wright’s value to this Cincinnati team was never more evident than on Tuesday. Wright hurt the knee with about 15 minutes left in the second half. At the time, he had 20 points, had scored or assisted on 15 of Cincinnati’s 21 field goals and had committed just two turnovers against DePaul’s pressure. With him out, the Bearcat’s offense took a hit, they started turning the ball over and they allowed the Blue Demons to make a game of it down the stretch.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)