Jan 16, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
Georgetown forward Greg Whittington will be out indefinitely after being ruled academically ineligible to compete, the school announced Wednesday evening.
“Greg will not participate in competition until further notice due to an eligibility issue,” said coach John Thompson III in the release.
In his second season with the Hoyas, Whittington had seen a significant increase in minutes per game this season and responded with production. He is the team’s second-leading scorer with 12.1 points per game and second-leading rebounder with 7.0 rebounds per game.
Whittington sat out Georgetown’s win Saturday over St. John’s and was ruled inactive for Wednesday’s game against Providence. Without him in the lineup against the Red Storm, the Hoyas actually broke the cycle of recent offensive struggles in a 67-51 victory.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)