Jan 16, 2013, 6:51 PM EST
Georgetown forward Greg Whittington will be out indefinitely after being ruled academically ineligible to compete, the school announced Wednesday evening.
“Greg will not participate in competition until further notice due to an eligibility issue,” said coach John Thompson III in the release.
In his second season with the Hoyas, Whittington had seen a significant increase in minutes per game this season and responded with production. He is the team’s second-leading scorer with 12.1 points per game and second-leading rebounder with 7.0 rebounds per game.
Whittington sat out Georgetown’s win Saturday over St. John’s and was ruled inactive for Wednesday’s game against Providence. Without him in the lineup against the Red Storm, the Hoyas actually broke the cycle of recent offensive struggles in a 67-51 victory.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)