Jan 16, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Georgetown will be without their second-leading scorer and rebounder on Wednesday night.
After sitting out Saturday’s 67-51 win over St. John’s due to an unspecified violations of team rules, Whittington will be on the bench but not in the lineup as the Hoyas take on Providence at the Verizon Center.
John Thompson III simply replied “yes” when asked if Whittington’s infraction was significant, indicating that the length of the suspension has yet to be determined. Whittington, who is averaging 12.1 points and 7.0 boards for a team that has struggled mightily to score consistently this season, may be out of the lineup for much longer.
Otto Porter had 19 points and 14 boards in the win over the Friars, as JT3 allowed his team to get up and down the floor a bit more and was more liberal with his bench and substitution patterns.
Georgetown needed a change, and managed to pick up their first Big East win of the season without Whittington. It will be interesting to see the direction this group heads in if he’s out for an extended period of time.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 14
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (17)