Jan 16, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Georgetown will be without their second-leading scorer and rebounder on Wednesday night.
After sitting out Saturday’s 67-51 win over St. John’s due to an unspecified violations of team rules, Whittington will be on the bench but not in the lineup as the Hoyas take on Providence at the Verizon Center.
John Thompson III simply replied “yes” when asked if Whittington’s infraction was significant, indicating that the length of the suspension has yet to be determined. Whittington, who is averaging 12.1 points and 7.0 boards for a team that has struggled mightily to score consistently this season, may be out of the lineup for much longer.
Otto Porter had 19 points and 14 boards in the win over the Friars, as JT3 allowed his team to get up and down the floor a bit more and was more liberal with his bench and substitution patterns.
Georgetown needed a change, and managed to pick up their first Big East win of the season without Whittington. It will be interesting to see the direction this group heads in if he’s out for an extended period of time.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)