Jan 16, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Georgetown will be without their second-leading scorer and rebounder on Wednesday night.
After sitting out Saturday’s 67-51 win over St. John’s due to an unspecified violations of team rules, Whittington will be on the bench but not in the lineup as the Hoyas take on Providence at the Verizon Center.
John Thompson III simply replied “yes” when asked if Whittington’s infraction was significant, indicating that the length of the suspension has yet to be determined. Whittington, who is averaging 12.1 points and 7.0 boards for a team that has struggled mightily to score consistently this season, may be out of the lineup for much longer.
Otto Porter had 19 points and 14 boards in the win over the Friars, as JT3 allowed his team to get up and down the floor a bit more and was more liberal with his bench and substitution patterns.
Georgetown needed a change, and managed to pick up their first Big East win of the season without Whittington. It will be interesting to see the direction this group heads in if he’s out for an extended period of time.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)