Jan 16, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Georgetown will be without their second-leading scorer and rebounder on Wednesday night.
After sitting out Saturday’s 67-51 win over St. John’s due to an unspecified violations of team rules, Whittington will be on the bench but not in the lineup as the Hoyas take on Providence at the Verizon Center.
John Thompson III simply replied “yes” when asked if Whittington’s infraction was significant, indicating that the length of the suspension has yet to be determined. Whittington, who is averaging 12.1 points and 7.0 boards for a team that has struggled mightily to score consistently this season, may be out of the lineup for much longer.
Otto Porter had 19 points and 14 boards in the win over the Friars, as JT3 allowed his team to get up and down the floor a bit more and was more liberal with his bench and substitution patterns.
Georgetown needed a change, and managed to pick up their first Big East win of the season without Whittington. It will be interesting to see the direction this group heads in if he’s out for an extended period of time.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)