Jan 16, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo will be the recipient of the 2013 Wayman Tisdale Humanitarian Award, set to be presented to him at 2013 Devon Energy College Basketball Awards on April 15 in Oklahoma City.
The Wayman Tisdale Humanitarian Award is presented annually to a member of the college basketball community who “has made a significant positive impact on society,” according to a release. The award is named after former Oklahoma star Wayman Tisdale, who passed away after a battle with cancer in 2009.
Television analyst and former coach Dick Vitale received the award in 2011 and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski was given the award last season.
Izzo has achieved an 80 percent graduation rate among players who have completed their eligibility at Michigan State, and has also been active in a number of causes, including Coaches Vs. Cancer, Volunteers of America, Sparrow Hospital, and the V Foundation for Cancer Research.
“Few coaches in collegiate athletics have endured and excelled like Tom Izzo,” David Gillikin, 2012 chairman of the Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award Advisory Board, said in a statement.
“His record of achieving the highest levels of success on the court together with his focus and success in graduating his players and positively impacting the community make him the ideal selection and adds another very significant name to the growing list of Tisdale Humanitarian honorees.”
Izzo and Michigan State are 14-3 so far in the 2012-13 season and are ranked No. 18 in the country.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)