Jan 16, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo will be the recipient of the 2013 Wayman Tisdale Humanitarian Award, set to be presented to him at 2013 Devon Energy College Basketball Awards on April 15 in Oklahoma City.
The Wayman Tisdale Humanitarian Award is presented annually to a member of the college basketball community who “has made a significant positive impact on society,” according to a release. The award is named after former Oklahoma star Wayman Tisdale, who passed away after a battle with cancer in 2009.
Television analyst and former coach Dick Vitale received the award in 2011 and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski was given the award last season.
Izzo has achieved an 80 percent graduation rate among players who have completed their eligibility at Michigan State, and has also been active in a number of causes, including Coaches Vs. Cancer, Volunteers of America, Sparrow Hospital, and the V Foundation for Cancer Research.
“Few coaches in collegiate athletics have endured and excelled like Tom Izzo,” David Gillikin, 2012 chairman of the Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award Advisory Board, said in a statement.
“His record of achieving the highest levels of success on the court together with his focus and success in graduating his players and positively impacting the community make him the ideal selection and adds another very significant name to the growing list of Tisdale Humanitarian honorees.”
Izzo and Michigan State are 14-3 so far in the 2012-13 season and are ranked No. 18 in the country.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 AM EST
Kentucky is learning how to win games when they don’t play well. That’s scary.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
No. 9 Kansas topped No. 20 West Virginia but now the Jayhawks must worry about the health of Perry Ellis.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EST
Georgetown and Iowa earn big road wins.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
All of Tuesday’s bubble action, right here.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Cincinnati could be losing an experienced guard for next season.
Jahlil Okafor, D’Angelo Russell among 10 finalists for Wayman Tisdale Award as nation’s best freshman
Mar 3, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
A lot of productive players on the Wayman Tisdale Award finalist list, led by Duke’s Jahlil Okafor and Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EST
Albany is looking for its third NCAA tournament appearance in as many years. Stony Brook is attempting to once again get over that conference tournament hump.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:47 PM EST
Kaminsky has all but locked up the award in my mind.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:32 PM EST
Murray State rolled through the OVC unbeaten and enters the conference tournament as the heavy favorite.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:36 PM EST
Rasheed Sulaimon was reportedly publicly accused of sexual assault.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:24 PM EST
This is the last true road game for the Wildcats this season.
Mar 3, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
Andrew Chrabascz had missed the last two weeks with a broken hand
Mar 3, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
A three-game margin separated the top seven teams, so don’t be surprised if things don’t go according to the seeds in Conway, South Carolina.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EST
The National Player of the Year talks hoops, soccer and senior years.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:12 AM EST
Last year, the college hoops 30 for 30 was “Requiem for the Big East”.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
Can St. Francis (NY) land their first-ever NCAA tournament berth?
Late Night Snacks: Texas gets huge win over Baylor, Iowa State comeback win on Oklahoma; No. 2 Virginia wins on road
Mar 2, 2015, 11:18 PM EST
No. 2 Virginia earned a big road win.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:33 PM EST
Texas survived to keep its NCAA Tournament hopes alive.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
Seton Hall added to its 2015 recruiting haul on Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
Alabama loses another starter as the regular season winds down.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)