Jan 16, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
According to a report from Mark Blaudschun, San Diego State will likely be returning to the Mountain West Conference.
Big East and San Diego State officials are working on a joint release announcing a mutual agreement to dissolve San Diego State’s agreement to come to the Big East on July 1, 2013 according to sources familiar with the discussions.
At the same time, San Diego State and Mountain West officials are finalizing an agreement which will keep San Diego State and Boise State in the MWC as full time members.
The announcements, barring any last second snags, should be made in the next few days.
This has more to do with the football side of things than anything else, as SDSU was supposed to join Boise State as “western” members of the Big East conference. But if this means that the Aztecs and the newly-relevant Broncos will remain in the MWC — which is fast becoming one of my favorite leagues in the country — I think that all us hoop heads can agree: this is great news.
UPDATE: This is about as official as it can get without an actual announcement:
San Diego State expected to be reinstated to MWC today, remain all sports member & not join Big East sources tell @espn.—
Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) January 16, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)