Jan 16, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
He may have only played one season in an orange Syracuse uniform, but Carmelo Anthony’s jersey will be hanging from the rafters of the Carrier Dome come February, ESPN New York is reporting.
According to the Syracuse Post-Standard, Syracuse has been “working to arrange [the jersey’s retirement] for a couple of years” and an official announcement would come soon.
Anthony played one season at Syracuse in 2002-03 and averaged 22.2 points and 10.0 rebounds per game, leading Syracuse to a national championship. That championship is the only one for coach Jim Boeheim during his tenure with the Orange.
He then entered the 2003 NBA Draft and was selected by the Denver Nuggets with the third overall pick. He has remained active in Syracuse affairs since he left the program, donating $3 million toward the completion of Syracuse’s practice facility named the “Melo Center” in his name.
Anthony will become the 10th Syracuse player to have his jersey retired, joining Rony Seikaly (4), Vic Hanson (8), Billy Gabor (17), Wilmeth Sidat-Singh (19), Sherman Douglas (20), Dave Bing (22), Billy Owens (30), Dwayne “Pearl” Washington (31), and Derrick Coleman (44).
This season for the New York Knicks, Anthony is averaging 29.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 4
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 17
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 4
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)