Jan 16, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
He may have only played one season in an orange Syracuse uniform, but Carmelo Anthony’s jersey will be hanging from the rafters of the Carrier Dome come February, ESPN New York is reporting.
According to the Syracuse Post-Standard, Syracuse has been “working to arrange [the jersey's retirement] for a couple of years” and an official announcement would come soon.
Anthony played one season at Syracuse in 2002-03 and averaged 22.2 points and 10.0 rebounds per game, leading Syracuse to a national championship. That championship is the only one for coach Jim Boeheim during his tenure with the Orange.
He then entered the 2003 NBA Draft and was selected by the Denver Nuggets with the third overall pick. He has remained active in Syracuse affairs since he left the program, donating $3 million toward the completion of Syracuse’s practice facility named the “Melo Center” in his name.
Anthony will become the 10th Syracuse player to have his jersey retired, joining Rony Seikaly (4), Vic Hanson (8), Billy Gabor (17), Wilmeth Sidat-Singh (19), Sherman Douglas (20), Dave Bing (22), Billy Owens (30), Dwayne “Pearl” Washington (31), and Derrick Coleman (44).
This season for the New York Knicks, Anthony is averaging 29.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)