Jan 16, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Alabama’s star point guard Trevor Releford re-injured a balky right ankle on Monday at practice, a setback that could force him to miss Wednesday’s game at Mississippi State.
“Whether or not he’s available, our full expectation is to go in there and play well,” head coach Anthony Grant told AL.com while listing Releford as doubtful.
Releford, the younger brother of Kansas wing Travis Releford, is averaging 16.3 points this season and has scored 41 points in the Crimson Tide’s first two SEC games. It’s a big blow for the Tide, and not only because Releford is their best player.
The Tide struggled in non-conference play, and given the lack of quality teams in the SEC this season, every loss is going to become magnified. Mississippi State is so banged up this season that coaches are jumping in on practices, but they have won three straight games and their first two in SEC play. Road games are tough in league play, and given the Bulldogs effort on the defensive end of the floor, tonight should be no different.
Not having their starting point guard in the mix is a massive blow, but an excuse won’t make up for a loss they simply cannot afford.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 3
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)