Jan 16, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Alabama’s star point guard Trevor Releford re-injured a balky right ankle on Monday at practice, a setback that could force him to miss Wednesday’s game at Mississippi State.
“Whether or not he’s available, our full expectation is to go in there and play well,” head coach Anthony Grant told AL.com while listing Releford as doubtful.
Releford, the younger brother of Kansas wing Travis Releford, is averaging 16.3 points this season and has scored 41 points in the Crimson Tide’s first two SEC games. It’s a big blow for the Tide, and not only because Releford is their best player.
The Tide struggled in non-conference play, and given the lack of quality teams in the SEC this season, every loss is going to become magnified. Mississippi State is so banged up this season that coaches are jumping in on practices, but they have won three straight games and their first two in SEC play. Road games are tough in league play, and given the Bulldogs effort on the defensive end of the floor, tonight should be no different.
Not having their starting point guard in the mix is a massive blow, but an excuse won’t make up for a loss they simply cannot afford.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)