Jan 16, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
Big news for Wichita State today: the Shockers should be getting Carl Hall back for Wednesday’s game with Illinois State.
Don’t know who Carl Hall is? Well, you should.
He’s the best low-post option for Gregg Marshall’s club, which managed to climb their way into the top 25 prior to Sunday’s road loss to Evansville despite playing without three starters due to injury.
Hall was one of those three. He broke his thumb in a practice back and has spent the last six games on the bench with a cast on his hand. Prior to the injury, he was Wichita State’s leading scorer (13.6 points) and rebounder (7.9 boards), but with the emergence of Cleanthony Early in the front court, the pressure on Hall to become a primary scorer immediately upon his return isn’t there.
They just need him to take up space in the paint. The points will come.
“Illinois State is a big, strong, athletic team and Creighton’s got (Gregory) Echenique and Doug McDermott so these are good teams with a lot of size. It’s a much needed boost for us to have Carl’s physical presence,” Marshall said. “I just think it’s going to be easier for us now with us being able to plug him in a few minutes here and there until he gets his basketball shape back where he wants it.”
The Shockers are currently a game behind Creighton in the MVC standings.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)