Jan 16, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
Big news for Wichita State today: the Shockers should be getting Carl Hall back for Wednesday’s game with Illinois State.
Don’t know who Carl Hall is? Well, you should.
He’s the best low-post option for Gregg Marshall’s club, which managed to climb their way into the top 25 prior to Sunday’s road loss to Evansville despite playing without three starters due to injury.
Hall was one of those three. He broke his thumb in a practice back and has spent the last six games on the bench with a cast on his hand. Prior to the injury, he was Wichita State’s leading scorer (13.6 points) and rebounder (7.9 boards), but with the emergence of Cleanthony Early in the front court, the pressure on Hall to become a primary scorer immediately upon his return isn’t there.
They just need him to take up space in the paint. The points will come.
“Illinois State is a big, strong, athletic team and Creighton’s got (Gregory) Echenique and Doug McDermott so these are good teams with a lot of size. It’s a much needed boost for us to have Carl’s physical presence,” Marshall said. “I just think it’s going to be easier for us now with us being able to plug him in a few minutes here and there until he gets his basketball shape back where he wants it.”
The Shockers are currently a game behind Creighton in the MVC standings.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)