Jan 16, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
Big news for Wichita State today: the Shockers should be getting Carl Hall back for Wednesday’s game with Illinois State.
Don’t know who Carl Hall is? Well, you should.
He’s the best low-post option for Gregg Marshall’s club, which managed to climb their way into the top 25 prior to Sunday’s road loss to Evansville despite playing without three starters due to injury.
Hall was one of those three. He broke his thumb in a practice back and has spent the last six games on the bench with a cast on his hand. Prior to the injury, he was Wichita State’s leading scorer (13.6 points) and rebounder (7.9 boards), but with the emergence of Cleanthony Early in the front court, the pressure on Hall to become a primary scorer immediately upon his return isn’t there.
They just need him to take up space in the paint. The points will come.
“Illinois State is a big, strong, athletic team and Creighton’s got (Gregory) Echenique and Doug McDermott so these are good teams with a lot of size. It’s a much needed boost for us to have Carl’s physical presence,” Marshall said. “I just think it’s going to be easier for us now with us being able to plug him in a few minutes here and there until he gets his basketball shape back where he wants it.”
The Shockers are currently a game behind Creighton in the MVC standings.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)