Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Mark Turgeon has done an excellent job with this Maryland team. 14-3 overall, 2-2 start in ACC play and now a Top 25 win under his belt this year. The Terrapins beat the Wolfpack with Alex Len as the leading scorer with 10 points. Nine guys were in the scoring column last night for Turgeon.
2. Speaking of the state of Maryland: Can we talk about the job Pat Skerry is doing at Towson? Skerry inherited a train wreck when he arrived. Last season the Tigers had one victory. Last night Towson beat Delaware, moved to 4-1 in CAA play and are 9-9 overall.
3. The bounce back win of the week has to be St. John’s. Over the weekend the Red Storm were sleep walking through a blowout home loss to Georgetown. Less than 3 days later, Steve Lavin’s team beats #20 Notre Dame at home. After Louisville and Syracuse, the rest of the league’s match-ups are difficult to predict to say the least.
4. 6’2 senior guard Greg Gantt from Florida Atlantic is now 4th in the nation in scoring at 22.4 ppg. Gantt became the Owls all-time leading scorer in their Dec. 27th win at Troy.
5. The only guard this year to dish out more total assists than Michael Carter-Williams from Syracuse is D.J. Cooper from Ohio University.
6. David Imes had 5 three pointers for Hofstra as the Pride narrowly missed starting 3-1 in conference play. Despite a well documented season of suspensions and injuries, Mo Cassara’s club is 2-2 in CAA play. The Pride take on George Mason this weekend.
7. He ranks 6th nationally in terms of percentage, but 1st in my book for efficiency. Jordan Hulls from Indiana has taken more 3 pointers than anyone else in the Top 10 for 3 pt shooting percentage by far. Hulls is 42-81 from downtown – good for 51.9% on the year.
8. Speaking of shooters, Sean Armand from Iona is simply one of the best shooters in the country. When his career is all said and done, he will be one of the best shooters the MAAC has ever seen. He is just the 2nd player in Iona history to make more than 200 career three pointers and he’s still a junior. Armand has 17 three pointers in Iona’s last 4 games.
9. Memphis is 13-3 overall and is off to a strong 3-0 start in Conference USA play. But do you know who’s coming into town this weekend to play at FedEx Forum? Tommy Amaker’s Harvard team — the Crimson will play anyone, anytime, at any place.
10. This is an NBA nugget but I’ll leave you with a quote that every hoops junkie and coach will love. It comes from Alan Stein, who is a professional strength & conditioning coach:
“The people at the Thunder repeatedly tell me that to this day, Kevin Durant still practices like a rookie on a 10-day contract.” – @AlanStein
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
John Calipari helped some campers waiting for Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness sleep a little easier by giving away a mattress and some pillows.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Baylor will be without an incoming recruit for the 2014-15 season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Coach K responded to recent criticisms lobbied at him about unfair recruiting advantages as USA Basketball’s coach.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Providence is hoping a key member of its backcourt will be healthy this season after two straight years with a shoulder injury.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
One five-star prospect heard a recruiting pitch centered on LeBron James’ homecoming to Cleveland.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Vince Carter highlight reels are still the best.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
With Isaiah Briscoe moving on to the college ranks next summer, Duval could be the next elite guard produced by the Playaz Basketball Club.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Last year’s Hoops on the Haasephalt event attracted nearly 4,000 fans on the UAB campus.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Despite rumors to the contrary, one of the best players in the Class of 2015 is 100 percent committed to attending LSU next year.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
“The Grateful Red” snapped up every available ticket within five minutes Wednesday morning.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)