Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Mark Turgeon has done an excellent job with this Maryland team. 14-3 overall, 2-2 start in ACC play and now a Top 25 win under his belt this year. The Terrapins beat the Wolfpack with Alex Len as the leading scorer with 10 points. Nine guys were in the scoring column last night for Turgeon.
2. Speaking of the state of Maryland: Can we talk about the job Pat Skerry is doing at Towson? Skerry inherited a train wreck when he arrived. Last season the Tigers had one victory. Last night Towson beat Delaware, moved to 4-1 in CAA play and are 9-9 overall.
3. The bounce back win of the week has to be St. John’s. Over the weekend the Red Storm were sleep walking through a blowout home loss to Georgetown. Less than 3 days later, Steve Lavin’s team beats #20 Notre Dame at home. After Louisville and Syracuse, the rest of the league’s match-ups are difficult to predict to say the least.
4. 6’2 senior guard Greg Gantt from Florida Atlantic is now 4th in the nation in scoring at 22.4 ppg. Gantt became the Owls all-time leading scorer in their Dec. 27th win at Troy.
5. The only guard this year to dish out more total assists than Michael Carter-Williams from Syracuse is D.J. Cooper from Ohio University.
6. David Imes had 5 three pointers for Hofstra as the Pride narrowly missed starting 3-1 in conference play. Despite a well documented season of suspensions and injuries, Mo Cassara’s club is 2-2 in CAA play. The Pride take on George Mason this weekend.
7. He ranks 6th nationally in terms of percentage, but 1st in my book for efficiency. Jordan Hulls from Indiana has taken more 3 pointers than anyone else in the Top 10 for 3 pt shooting percentage by far. Hulls is 42-81 from downtown – good for 51.9% on the year.
8. Speaking of shooters, Sean Armand from Iona is simply one of the best shooters in the country. When his career is all said and done, he will be one of the best shooters the MAAC has ever seen. He is just the 2nd player in Iona history to make more than 200 career three pointers and he’s still a junior. Armand has 17 three pointers in Iona’s last 4 games.
9. Memphis is 13-3 overall and is off to a strong 3-0 start in Conference USA play. But do you know who’s coming into town this weekend to play at FedEx Forum? Tommy Amaker’s Harvard team — the Crimson will play anyone, anytime, at any place.
10. This is an NBA nugget but I’ll leave you with a quote that every hoops junkie and coach will love. It comes from Alan Stein, who is a professional strength & conditioning coach:
“The people at the Thunder repeatedly tell me that to this day, Kevin Durant still practices like a rookie on a 10-day contract.” – @AlanStein
Dec 22, 2014, 6:30 AM EST
The top 12 remain the same, but there was plenty of movement in and around the rest of the top 25.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EST
Yeah, you’re going to want to see this.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Four of the eight teams in the field reached the NCAA tournament last season.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:22 PM EST
Virginia limited Harvard to 27 points, Maryland won at Oklahoma State, and Georgia picked up a solid home win.
Dec 21, 2014, 7:04 PM EST
Could the Terps be the second-best team in the Big Ten? At the very least they’ve earned their place in the conversation.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Harrell was assessed a flagrant 2 foul in Saturday’s win over Western Kentucky.
Dec 21, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
Coaches donning festive holiday sweaters doesn’t happen all that often in college basketball.
Dec 21, 2014, 3:46 PM EST
Brad Stevens left Butler in 2013, agreeing to a six-year deal with the Boston Celtics, but that will not stop his name being linked to one specific college job.
Dec 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EST
The Buckeyes are 9-2, dropping both of their key non-conferences games against ranked opponents.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Harvard did not set the record for lowest field goal percentage or lowest first-half points, but the Crimson did tie an NCAA record on Sunday afternoon.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
The Orange and Wildcats have split a home-and-home series since the old Big East disbanded several years ago.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
The Louisville forward spoke about the incident that took place at the end of the first half against Western Kentucky following the game.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
The nation’s top recruit also dropped 37 points in a win for Montverde Academy (Florida)
Dec 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
Here’s a rundown of Sunday’s games.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EST
With pieces that fit together better than last season’s 17-15 squad, the Huskies are off to a 10-0 start.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
George Mason’s last win over a Division I opponent prior to Saturday came against another MAAC program, Manhattan, on November 29.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Jackson scored 22 points, with two coming on an emphatic dunk on Purdue freshman Isaac Haas.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:41 PM EST
It’s already been a busy day in college hoops, with two buzzer-beaters and two ranked teams already going down.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EST
While Michigan State’s 4-for-21 night from three didn’t help matters, Texas Southern shot better than 53 percent from the field.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:18 PM EST
Burton was one of two sophomores to leave the Marquette program earlier this month.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)