Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Mark Turgeon has done an excellent job with this Maryland team. 14-3 overall, 2-2 start in ACC play and now a Top 25 win under his belt this year. The Terrapins beat the Wolfpack with Alex Len as the leading scorer with 10 points. Nine guys were in the scoring column last night for Turgeon.
2. Speaking of the state of Maryland: Can we talk about the job Pat Skerry is doing at Towson? Skerry inherited a train wreck when he arrived. Last season the Tigers had one victory. Last night Towson beat Delaware, moved to 4-1 in CAA play and are 9-9 overall.
3. The bounce back win of the week has to be St. John’s. Over the weekend the Red Storm were sleep walking through a blowout home loss to Georgetown. Less than 3 days later, Steve Lavin’s team beats #20 Notre Dame at home. After Louisville and Syracuse, the rest of the league’s match-ups are difficult to predict to say the least.
4. 6’2 senior guard Greg Gantt from Florida Atlantic is now 4th in the nation in scoring at 22.4 ppg. Gantt became the Owls all-time leading scorer in their Dec. 27th win at Troy.
5. The only guard this year to dish out more total assists than Michael Carter-Williams from Syracuse is D.J. Cooper from Ohio University.
6. David Imes had 5 three pointers for Hofstra as the Pride narrowly missed starting 3-1 in conference play. Despite a well documented season of suspensions and injuries, Mo Cassara’s club is 2-2 in CAA play. The Pride take on George Mason this weekend.
7. He ranks 6th nationally in terms of percentage, but 1st in my book for efficiency. Jordan Hulls from Indiana has taken more 3 pointers than anyone else in the Top 10 for 3 pt shooting percentage by far. Hulls is 42-81 from downtown – good for 51.9% on the year.
8. Speaking of shooters, Sean Armand from Iona is simply one of the best shooters in the country. When his career is all said and done, he will be one of the best shooters the MAAC has ever seen. He is just the 2nd player in Iona history to make more than 200 career three pointers and he’s still a junior. Armand has 17 three pointers in Iona’s last 4 games.
9. Memphis is 13-3 overall and is off to a strong 3-0 start in Conference USA play. But do you know who’s coming into town this weekend to play at FedEx Forum? Tommy Amaker’s Harvard team — the Crimson will play anyone, anytime, at any place.
10. This is an NBA nugget but I’ll leave you with a quote that every hoops junkie and coach will love. It comes from Alan Stein, who is a professional strength & conditioning coach:
“The people at the Thunder repeatedly tell me that to this day, Kevin Durant still practices like a rookie on a 10-day contract.” – @AlanStein
Jul 25, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Former Delaware guard Jarvis Threatt is turning pro after being dismissed from the program in June.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Didn’t believe Niang when he stated that he’d reshaped his body? Here’s visual evidence that he did.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
New York City guard Rawle Alkins is one player to monitor in the Class of 2016.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
If allowed to do so, how would a draft of the Class of 2015′s best players go? Here’s our attempt.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The Texas native isn’t happy some Texas schools pulled their scholarship offers.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best big men were on the same court Thursday, with Zimmerman’s Oakland Soldiers getting the win.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Hipsher worked with Watson from 2009-11, when he was associate head coach at Alabama and Watson a grad assistant.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Despite the fact that Vujovic made it through the NCAA Eligibility Center, Monmouth has decided to not admit him.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
Eric McKnight’s waiver to play immediately was denied by the SEC.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Groce is under .500 in Big Ten play in his two seasons at Illinois.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Florida State will play five non-conference games against teams that reached the NCAA tournament last season.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The four latest five-star recruits that Cal landed all showed off their Kentucky threads on instagram.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Mostella has travelled a long road to get to Knoxville.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Austin has found a landing place, but it’s still a long way from the Division I ranks.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Three true road games and a visit from the reigning champs?
Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Thon Maker is a top five recruit in 2016 and would be a top two or three recruit in 2015.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Hoiberg had surgery to replace his pacemaker last week.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
The events will be played in November and December
Jul 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Mykhailiuk is playing in the B Division of the event.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The final open period has begun, with Corey Sanders and Jalen Brunson among the standouts.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)