Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Mark Turgeon has done an excellent job with this Maryland team. 14-3 overall, 2-2 start in ACC play and now a Top 25 win under his belt this year. The Terrapins beat the Wolfpack with Alex Len as the leading scorer with 10 points. Nine guys were in the scoring column last night for Turgeon.
2. Speaking of the state of Maryland: Can we talk about the job Pat Skerry is doing at Towson? Skerry inherited a train wreck when he arrived. Last season the Tigers had one victory. Last night Towson beat Delaware, moved to 4-1 in CAA play and are 9-9 overall.
3. The bounce back win of the week has to be St. John’s. Over the weekend the Red Storm were sleep walking through a blowout home loss to Georgetown. Less than 3 days later, Steve Lavin’s team beats #20 Notre Dame at home. After Louisville and Syracuse, the rest of the league’s match-ups are difficult to predict to say the least.
4. 6’2 senior guard Greg Gantt from Florida Atlantic is now 4th in the nation in scoring at 22.4 ppg. Gantt became the Owls all-time leading scorer in their Dec. 27th win at Troy.
5. The only guard this year to dish out more total assists than Michael Carter-Williams from Syracuse is D.J. Cooper from Ohio University.
6. David Imes had 5 three pointers for Hofstra as the Pride narrowly missed starting 3-1 in conference play. Despite a well documented season of suspensions and injuries, Mo Cassara’s club is 2-2 in CAA play. The Pride take on George Mason this weekend.
7. He ranks 6th nationally in terms of percentage, but 1st in my book for efficiency. Jordan Hulls from Indiana has taken more 3 pointers than anyone else in the Top 10 for 3 pt shooting percentage by far. Hulls is 42-81 from downtown – good for 51.9% on the year.
8. Speaking of shooters, Sean Armand from Iona is simply one of the best shooters in the country. When his career is all said and done, he will be one of the best shooters the MAAC has ever seen. He is just the 2nd player in Iona history to make more than 200 career three pointers and he’s still a junior. Armand has 17 three pointers in Iona’s last 4 games.
9. Memphis is 13-3 overall and is off to a strong 3-0 start in Conference USA play. But do you know who’s coming into town this weekend to play at FedEx Forum? Tommy Amaker’s Harvard team — the Crimson will play anyone, anytime, at any place.
10. This is an NBA nugget but I’ll leave you with a quote that every hoops junkie and coach will love. It comes from Alan Stein, who is a professional strength & conditioning coach:
“The people at the Thunder repeatedly tell me that to this day, Kevin Durant still practices like a rookie on a 10-day contract.” – @AlanStein
Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
According to head coach Ray Harper, Kristaps Gluditis was regarded as one of the top shooters in Europe.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Tillie is a skilled forward who will have the chance to contribute immediately in 2016-17 due to the eventual losses of Kyle Wiltjer and Przemek Karnowski (both are seniors this season).
Aug 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Theo Pinson makes a bold statement and backs it up by burying a tough shot.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Washington is losing another player as the team only returns two scholarship players from last season.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Michigan received some positive news as a key member of the 2014-15 season returned to the floor.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Seventh Woods still has plenty of highlight plays up his sleeve.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Friday was photo day in Lawrence.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The Spartans are now 1-1 on the trip.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s Joey van Zegeren’s first year with the Northwestern program.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Stanford falls to 1-1 on the foreign tour.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
The ex-Oklahoma commit decides to state in-state.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Last week, 24 of the best high school basketball players participated in the 10th annual event.
Aug 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Three of Jordan Bohannon’s older brothers have played Division I college basketball, but he’s the first to pick their father’s alma mater.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
During his first bout with the disease Smith suffered cardiac arrest and lapsed into a coma that lasted for three days.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
The team many expect to be a national title contender has a new court to play on this season.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Crean addressed the recent off-court issues at a school event in Indianapolis.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
And the toss was a solid one as well.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Herard has scheduled official visits to three of the five remaining schools on his list.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 Canadian averaged 9.1 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last season.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Georgetown, Georgia Tech and Saint Joseph’s failed to make the cut for the New Jersey native.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)