Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Mark Turgeon has done an excellent job with this Maryland team. 14-3 overall, 2-2 start in ACC play and now a Top 25 win under his belt this year. The Terrapins beat the Wolfpack with Alex Len as the leading scorer with 10 points. Nine guys were in the scoring column last night for Turgeon.
2. Speaking of the state of Maryland: Can we talk about the job Pat Skerry is doing at Towson? Skerry inherited a train wreck when he arrived. Last season the Tigers had one victory. Last night Towson beat Delaware, moved to 4-1 in CAA play and are 9-9 overall.
3. The bounce back win of the week has to be St. John’s. Over the weekend the Red Storm were sleep walking through a blowout home loss to Georgetown. Less than 3 days later, Steve Lavin’s team beats #20 Notre Dame at home. After Louisville and Syracuse, the rest of the league’s match-ups are difficult to predict to say the least.
4. 6’2 senior guard Greg Gantt from Florida Atlantic is now 4th in the nation in scoring at 22.4 ppg. Gantt became the Owls all-time leading scorer in their Dec. 27th win at Troy.
5. The only guard this year to dish out more total assists than Michael Carter-Williams from Syracuse is D.J. Cooper from Ohio University.
6. David Imes had 5 three pointers for Hofstra as the Pride narrowly missed starting 3-1 in conference play. Despite a well documented season of suspensions and injuries, Mo Cassara’s club is 2-2 in CAA play. The Pride take on George Mason this weekend.
7. He ranks 6th nationally in terms of percentage, but 1st in my book for efficiency. Jordan Hulls from Indiana has taken more 3 pointers than anyone else in the Top 10 for 3 pt shooting percentage by far. Hulls is 42-81 from downtown – good for 51.9% on the year.
8. Speaking of shooters, Sean Armand from Iona is simply one of the best shooters in the country. When his career is all said and done, he will be one of the best shooters the MAAC has ever seen. He is just the 2nd player in Iona history to make more than 200 career three pointers and he’s still a junior. Armand has 17 three pointers in Iona’s last 4 games.
9. Memphis is 13-3 overall and is off to a strong 3-0 start in Conference USA play. But do you know who’s coming into town this weekend to play at FedEx Forum? Tommy Amaker’s Harvard team — the Crimson will play anyone, anytime, at any place.
10. This is an NBA nugget but I’ll leave you with a quote that every hoops junkie and coach will love. It comes from Alan Stein, who is a professional strength & conditioning coach:
“The people at the Thunder repeatedly tell me that to this day, Kevin Durant still practices like a rookie on a 10-day contract.” – @AlanStein
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Do you think the MLB needs some ice for that burn?
Sep 30, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
A former Baylor commit is suing his former high school for allegedly altering his grades.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Missouri is losing a wing shooter.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Can an SEC program reel in a top-5 player in the 2015 class during a weekend visit?
Sep 30, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
Harvard landed another quality recruit.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
IUPUI unveiled a new court design this week.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Western Kentucky fans were given three options and selected one for the upcoming season.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
NBA teams know all about efficiency stats and advanced analytics. College freshmen and sophomores may not.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Evans may be the best point guard in the Class of 2015, but it’s up for debate.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
Ernie Kent lands his third commitment in the Class of 2015.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
The pair will replace Digger Phelps and Jalen Rose.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
The Owls may not have landed Jalen Brunson, but they did bring in an elite “legacy” in the back court.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Long Beach State has four commits in 2015.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Pauley Pavilion has gone under plenty of changes in the last few seasons and dealt with a flooding issue several months back.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
UNLV continues to tap into the local powerhouse.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
All four commits are ranked in the Rivals150.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Spoiler: Kentucky is going to dunk a lot this season.
Sep 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A decision could come within the next three weeks.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
John Calipari’s loaded roster has required a new position on the Kentucky staff.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Logwood had previously signed with Auburn.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)