Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Mark Turgeon has done an excellent job with this Maryland team. 14-3 overall, 2-2 start in ACC play and now a Top 25 win under his belt this year. The Terrapins beat the Wolfpack with Alex Len as the leading scorer with 10 points. Nine guys were in the scoring column last night for Turgeon.
2. Speaking of the state of Maryland: Can we talk about the job Pat Skerry is doing at Towson? Skerry inherited a train wreck when he arrived. Last season the Tigers had one victory. Last night Towson beat Delaware, moved to 4-1 in CAA play and are 9-9 overall.
3. The bounce back win of the week has to be St. John’s. Over the weekend the Red Storm were sleep walking through a blowout home loss to Georgetown. Less than 3 days later, Steve Lavin’s team beats #20 Notre Dame at home. After Louisville and Syracuse, the rest of the league’s match-ups are difficult to predict to say the least.
4. 6’2 senior guard Greg Gantt from Florida Atlantic is now 4th in the nation in scoring at 22.4 ppg. Gantt became the Owls all-time leading scorer in their Dec. 27th win at Troy.
5. The only guard this year to dish out more total assists than Michael Carter-Williams from Syracuse is D.J. Cooper from Ohio University.
6. David Imes had 5 three pointers for Hofstra as the Pride narrowly missed starting 3-1 in conference play. Despite a well documented season of suspensions and injuries, Mo Cassara’s club is 2-2 in CAA play. The Pride take on George Mason this weekend.
7. He ranks 6th nationally in terms of percentage, but 1st in my book for efficiency. Jordan Hulls from Indiana has taken more 3 pointers than anyone else in the Top 10 for 3 pt shooting percentage by far. Hulls is 42-81 from downtown – good for 51.9% on the year.
8. Speaking of shooters, Sean Armand from Iona is simply one of the best shooters in the country. When his career is all said and done, he will be one of the best shooters the MAAC has ever seen. He is just the 2nd player in Iona history to make more than 200 career three pointers and he’s still a junior. Armand has 17 three pointers in Iona’s last 4 games.
9. Memphis is 13-3 overall and is off to a strong 3-0 start in Conference USA play. But do you know who’s coming into town this weekend to play at FedEx Forum? Tommy Amaker’s Harvard team — the Crimson will play anyone, anytime, at any place.
10. This is an NBA nugget but I’ll leave you with a quote that every hoops junkie and coach will love. It comes from Alan Stein, who is a professional strength & conditioning coach:
“The people at the Thunder repeatedly tell me that to this day, Kevin Durant still practices like a rookie on a 10-day contract.” – @AlanStein
Mar 29, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Chris Mullin has zero head coaching experience.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
George Mason had parted ways with Paul Hewitt earlier this month.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The former St. Bonaventure guard had previously completed his Bachelor’s degree.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:36 PM EDT
Michigan State knocked of Louisville in the Elite Eight on Sunday.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
40-0, Izzo, Coach K, Bo Ryan, Wisconsin-UK, Duke-UK? Let’s get it.
Mar 29, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Three one-seeds have made it to the Final Four, with No. 7 Michigan State being the exception.
Mar 29, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
Duke is the third No. 1 seed to reach Indianapolis.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Duryea has been with the program for 14 seasons.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
We now know who plays when during the Final Four.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
Hurley just completed his third season with the Rams.
Mar 29, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT
This is the first Final Four Michigan State has been to since 2009.
Mar 29, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Dave Leitao is the leading candidate to become the head coach at DePaul for a second time.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Five-star big man Ivan Rabb makes a clutch free throw to win a California state title.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Wisconsin and Kentucky get to play again after last season’s thrilling National Semifinal.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
The label of “best coach yet to reach a Final Four” will remain Miller’s for another offseason, whether that’s fair or not.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
The Wildcats knocked off a tough Notre Dame team.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Dekker scored 20 of his 27 points in the second half at Wisconsin beat Arizona in the Elite Eight for the second straight year.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:34 PM EDT
Frank got a little funky after Wisconsin’s win over Arizona.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
This is too funny.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Barnes coached at Texas for 17 seasons.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (75)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)