Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Mark Turgeon has done an excellent job with this Maryland team. 14-3 overall, 2-2 start in ACC play and now a Top 25 win under his belt this year. The Terrapins beat the Wolfpack with Alex Len as the leading scorer with 10 points. Nine guys were in the scoring column last night for Turgeon.
2. Speaking of the state of Maryland: Can we talk about the job Pat Skerry is doing at Towson? Skerry inherited a train wreck when he arrived. Last season the Tigers had one victory. Last night Towson beat Delaware, moved to 4-1 in CAA play and are 9-9 overall.
3. The bounce back win of the week has to be St. John’s. Over the weekend the Red Storm were sleep walking through a blowout home loss to Georgetown. Less than 3 days later, Steve Lavin’s team beats #20 Notre Dame at home. After Louisville and Syracuse, the rest of the league’s match-ups are difficult to predict to say the least.
4. 6’2 senior guard Greg Gantt from Florida Atlantic is now 4th in the nation in scoring at 22.4 ppg. Gantt became the Owls all-time leading scorer in their Dec. 27th win at Troy.
5. The only guard this year to dish out more total assists than Michael Carter-Williams from Syracuse is D.J. Cooper from Ohio University.
6. David Imes had 5 three pointers for Hofstra as the Pride narrowly missed starting 3-1 in conference play. Despite a well documented season of suspensions and injuries, Mo Cassara’s club is 2-2 in CAA play. The Pride take on George Mason this weekend.
7. He ranks 6th nationally in terms of percentage, but 1st in my book for efficiency. Jordan Hulls from Indiana has taken more 3 pointers than anyone else in the Top 10 for 3 pt shooting percentage by far. Hulls is 42-81 from downtown – good for 51.9% on the year.
8. Speaking of shooters, Sean Armand from Iona is simply one of the best shooters in the country. When his career is all said and done, he will be one of the best shooters the MAAC has ever seen. He is just the 2nd player in Iona history to make more than 200 career three pointers and he’s still a junior. Armand has 17 three pointers in Iona’s last 4 games.
9. Memphis is 13-3 overall and is off to a strong 3-0 start in Conference USA play. But do you know who’s coming into town this weekend to play at FedEx Forum? Tommy Amaker’s Harvard team — the Crimson will play anyone, anytime, at any place.
10. This is an NBA nugget but I’ll leave you with a quote that every hoops junkie and coach will love. It comes from Alan Stein, who is a professional strength & conditioning coach:
“The people at the Thunder repeatedly tell me that to this day, Kevin Durant still practices like a rookie on a 10-day contract.” – @AlanStein
Nov 21, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
Kansas hosts Rider on Monday night.
Clemson gets technical foul for calling a timeout it doesn’t have, coughs up game to Gardner Webb (VIDEO)
Nov 21, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
This has been a disastrous week for the Tigers.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
UConn will play the winner of Boston College-West Virginia.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Let’s just say that we aren’t too fond of the current shot clock or the rules regarding hanging on the rim.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
Mississippi State’s taken steps forward when it comes to improving the depth and talent in their program.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Arizona’s interior depth, Oklahoma gets rolling, another Memphis recruit reclassifies
Nov 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
News and notes on the world of college basketball recruiting.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Two of the four writers picked Indiana as a team that can surprise people in the Big Ten.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:02 PM EST
Less than a week after TaShawn Thomas was cleared to play, Danuel House received the good news regarding his waiver request.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
Cullen Neal leads the Lobos in scoring and is second in assists, so this is a big loss.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
Isaiah Taylor injured his left wrist on a hard fall with just over two minutes remaining in Texas’ win over Iowa Thursday night.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Also of note is George Washington’s trip to Charlottesville, and Dayton facing UConn in Puerto Rico.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
Both Miami (2007) and Minnesota (2010) have won the event in the past.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:39 AM EST
There was also a double-overtime game in Charleston, and a buzzer-beating tip-in in Puerto Rico.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
One impressive stretch of perimeter shooting may stand out, but Cal’s execution against the Syracuse zone was good for most of the night.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
Through three games Villanova’s shooting 26.3% from three, but they’ve been able to make up for it in other areas.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
I don’t know how much they’ll win, but Indiana is going to be a lot of fun to watch this season.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:43 PM EST
Johnathan Holmes sparked the Texas comeback.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:29 PM EST
2015 participants George Mason (2010) and Seton Hall (2011) will play in the Gildan Charleston Classic for the second time in the history of the event.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:36 PM EST
Caris LeVert led the way with 21 points and nine rebounds, and Michigan held Juwan Howard Jr. without a point over the final 5:39.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Dominic Woodson injured his left hand in practice Sunday.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)