Jan 17, 2013, 1:16 AM EST
With his team down two points, 69-67, Saint Mary’s guard Matthew Dellavedova heaved a shot from half-court that went down as the buzzer sounded to give the Gaels a stunning 70-69 victory Wednesday night at Marriott Center in Provo, Utah.
Dellavedova finished with 18 points on the night, but none bigger than the three that put his team ahead at the end of the game.
Just moments before, BYU’s Tyler Haws had floated across the lane and hit a fallaway jumper that gave the Cougars a two-point lead. He finished with 23 points on 8-of-16 shooting and added seven rebounds.
BYU defended well without fouling on the ensuing possession, but Dellavedova hit from half-court to give Saint Mary’s the win.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 5
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)