Jan 17, 2013, 1:16 AM EDT
With his team down two points, 69-67, Saint Mary’s guard Matthew Dellavedova heaved a shot from half-court that went down as the buzzer sounded to give the Gaels a stunning 70-69 victory Wednesday night at Marriott Center in Provo, Utah.
Dellavedova finished with 18 points on the night, but none bigger than the three that put his team ahead at the end of the game.
Just moments before, BYU’s Tyler Haws had floated across the lane and hit a fallaway jumper that gave the Cougars a two-point lead. He finished with 23 points on 8-of-16 shooting and added seven rebounds.
BYU defended well without fouling on the ensuing possession, but Dellavedova hit from half-court to give Saint Mary’s the win.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 3
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 7
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)