Jan 17, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
So much for all that Texas A&M talk.
Four days after going into Lexington and earning a win against Kentucky, Texas A&M was set to host a beat up Florida team with a chance to really make a statement to the folks that put together bubble projections.
So what did the Aggies do?
Lost by 21. Of course.
Mike Rosario caught fire early, Florida pulled away late in the first half, and the Gators threw it into cruise control over the last 20 minutes, eventually winning by a final margin of 68-47.
It makes you wonder: who was that Texas A&M team that found their way into Rupp Arena on Saturday afternoon? And what got into Elston Turner that night? Because after lighting up the Wildcats for 40 points, he managed all of four points on 1-10 shooting on Thursday night against Florida.
And it’s not like the Gators are an overwhelming favorite to win the national title, either. They’re a good team, one that defends really well and can be dangerous on the nights that Kenny Boynton and Rosario are hitting their jumpers. But they’re pretty accurately ranked at No. 10.
Beyond that, they are dealing with enough injuries that make you wonder whether or not Will Muschamp is running practices: Erik Murphy has a rib injury; Scottie Wilbekin has a broken finger; Will Yeguete has a knee issue; Casey Prather isn’t even playing while he deals with a high-ankle sprain.
Maybe that gap between Kentucky and the teams at the top of the SEC is bigger than we thought, and that’s a major problem.
Because the Wildcats are probably going to have to win two of the three games they play against Missouri and Florida this season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)