Jan 17, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
So much for all that Texas A&M talk.
Four days after going into Lexington and earning a win against Kentucky, Texas A&M was set to host a beat up Florida team with a chance to really make a statement to the folks that put together bubble projections.
So what did the Aggies do?
Lost by 21. Of course.
Mike Rosario caught fire early, Florida pulled away late in the first half, and the Gators threw it into cruise control over the last 20 minutes, eventually winning by a final margin of 68-47.
It makes you wonder: who was that Texas A&M team that found their way into Rupp Arena on Saturday afternoon? And what got into Elston Turner that night? Because after lighting up the Wildcats for 40 points, he managed all of four points on 1-10 shooting on Thursday night against Florida.
And it’s not like the Gators are an overwhelming favorite to win the national title, either. They’re a good team, one that defends really well and can be dangerous on the nights that Kenny Boynton and Rosario are hitting their jumpers. But they’re pretty accurately ranked at No. 10.
Beyond that, they are dealing with enough injuries that make you wonder whether or not Will Muschamp is running practices: Erik Murphy has a rib injury; Scottie Wilbekin has a broken finger; Will Yeguete has a knee issue; Casey Prather isn’t even playing while he deals with a high-ankle sprain.
Maybe that gap between Kentucky and the teams at the top of the SEC is bigger than we thought, and that’s a major problem.
Because the Wildcats are probably going to have to win two of the three games they play against Missouri and Florida this season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him