Jan 17, 2013, 9:21 PM EST
So much for all that Texas A&M talk.
Four days after going into Lexington and earning a win against Kentucky, Texas A&M was set to host a beat up Florida team with a chance to really make a statement to the folks that put together bubble projections.
So what did the Aggies do?
Lost by 21. Of course.
Mike Rosario caught fire early, Florida pulled away late in the first half, and the Gators threw it into cruise control over the last 20 minutes, eventually winning by a final margin of 68-47.
It makes you wonder: who was that Texas A&M team that found their way into Rupp Arena on Saturday afternoon? And what got into Elston Turner that night? Because after lighting up the Wildcats for 40 points, he managed all of four points on 1-10 shooting on Thursday night against Florida.
And it’s not like the Gators are an overwhelming favorite to win the national title, either. They’re a good team, one that defends really well and can be dangerous on the nights that Kenny Boynton and Rosario are hitting their jumpers. But they’re pretty accurately ranked at No. 10.
Beyond that, they are dealing with enough injuries that make you wonder whether or not Will Muschamp is running practices: Erik Murphy has a rib injury; Scottie Wilbekin has a broken finger; Will Yeguete has a knee issue; Casey Prather isn’t even playing while he deals with a high-ankle sprain.
Maybe that gap between Kentucky and the teams at the top of the SEC is bigger than we thought, and that’s a major problem.
Because the Wildcats are probably going to have to win two of the three games they play against Missouri and Florida this season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)