Jan 17, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
One of the best high school games of the year in Chicago was marred by tragedy on Wednesday night.
Simeon Career Academy knocked off Morgan Park 53-51 at Chicago State’s gym, but in the postgame handshake lines, a scuffle broke out. There was some pushing and shoving, and according to reporters at the game, some fans even tried to get involved in the fight. Eventually the teams were ushered to their locker rooms.
But outside the gym, shots were fired, and 17-year old Tyrone Lawson was shot and killed. Two suspects were apprehended.
Simeon is where Jabari Parker, a top three recruit that recently committed to Duke, attends. The school has produced the likes of Derrick Rose and Ben Wilson. Morgan Park has top 75 recruit Billy Garrett Jr. on their roster, and count alumni like Louisville’s Wayne Blackshear amongst their ranks.
(Image via Instagram user Matt Cross)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)