Jan 17, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
One of the best high school games of the year in Chicago was marred by tragedy on Wednesday night.
Simeon Career Academy knocked off Morgan Park 53-51 at Chicago State’s gym, but in the postgame handshake lines, a scuffle broke out. There was some pushing and shoving, and according to reporters at the game, some fans even tried to get involved in the fight. Eventually the teams were ushered to their locker rooms.
But outside the gym, shots were fired, and 17-year old Tyrone Lawson was shot and killed. Two suspects were apprehended.
Simeon is where Jabari Parker, a top three recruit that recently committed to Duke, attends. The school has produced the likes of Derrick Rose and Ben Wilson. Morgan Park has top 75 recruit Billy Garrett Jr. on their roster, and count alumni like Louisville’s Wayne Blackshear amongst their ranks.
(Image via Instagram user Matt Cross)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (75)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)