Jan 17, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
One of the best high school games of the year in Chicago was marred by tragedy on Wednesday night.
Simeon Career Academy knocked off Morgan Park 53-51 at Chicago State’s gym, but in the postgame handshake lines, a scuffle broke out. There was some pushing and shoving, and according to reporters at the game, some fans even tried to get involved in the fight. Eventually the teams were ushered to their locker rooms.
But outside the gym, shots were fired, and 17-year old Tyrone Lawson was shot and killed. Two suspects were apprehended.
Simeon is where Jabari Parker, a top three recruit that recently committed to Duke, attends. The school has produced the likes of Derrick Rose and Ben Wilson. Morgan Park has top 75 recruit Billy Garrett Jr. on their roster, and count alumni like Louisville’s Wayne Blackshear amongst their ranks.
(Image via Instagram user Matt Cross)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 2
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 4
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 22
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 9
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (85)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)