Jan 17, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
One of the best high school games of the year in Chicago was marred by tragedy on Wednesday night.
Simeon Career Academy knocked off Morgan Park 53-51 at Chicago State’s gym, but in the postgame handshake lines, a scuffle broke out. There was some pushing and shoving, and according to reporters at the game, some fans even tried to get involved in the fight. Eventually the teams were ushered to their locker rooms.
But outside the gym, shots were fired, and 17-year old Tyrone Lawson was shot and killed. Two suspects were apprehended.
Simeon is where Jabari Parker, a top three recruit that recently committed to Duke, attends. The school has produced the likes of Derrick Rose and Ben Wilson. Morgan Park has top 75 recruit Billy Garrett Jr. on their roster, and count alumni like Louisville’s Wayne Blackshear amongst their ranks.
(Image via Instagram user Matt Cross)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)