Jan 17, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
One of the best high school games of the year in Chicago was marred by tragedy on Wednesday night.
Simeon Career Academy knocked off Morgan Park 53-51 at Chicago State’s gym, but in the postgame handshake lines, a scuffle broke out. There was some pushing and shoving, and according to reporters at the game, some fans even tried to get involved in the fight. Eventually the teams were ushered to their locker rooms.
But outside the gym, shots were fired, and 17-year old Tyrone Lawson was shot and killed. Two suspects were apprehended.
Simeon is where Jabari Parker, a top three recruit that recently committed to Duke, attends. The school has produced the likes of Derrick Rose and Ben Wilson. Morgan Park has top 75 recruit Billy Garrett Jr. on their roster, and count alumni like Louisville’s Wayne Blackshear amongst their ranks.
(Image via Instagram user Matt Cross)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)