Jan 18, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
A sprained right ankle won’t keep Kansas’ leading scorer, Ben McLemore out of Saturday’s game against Texas.
In a 61-44 win against Baylor on Monday night, McLemore landed awkwardly, resulting in the freshman guard rolling his ankle. According to the Kansas City Star, McLemore returned to practice on Thursday after sitting out practice on Tuesday and only participating in a light shootaround on Wednesday.
“He’s gonna be close to 100 percent come Saturday,” said Kansas head coach Bill Self.
The Jayhawks, in the middle of a 14 game winning streak, will have their star freshmen against a struggling Longhorns team. Texas is sitting at .500 and is off to an 0-3 start in Big 12 play this season. However, next Tuesday, No. 4 Kansas has a road game with in-state rival, No. 16 Kansas State. Kansas will get McLemore a game to test that recovering ankle before Tuesday’s top 25 matchup.
McLemore has been the best option offensively for the Jayhawks this season, pouring in 16.4 points per game. Missing McLemore for any period of time is something Kansas can’t afford.
“I’d be nervous for anybody to get hurt,” said Self. “But because it was Ben, it seemed like to me there was a little bit of air in the building that left.
“But I don’t think I was scared; concern would probably be a better word.”
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)