Jan 18, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
A sprained right ankle won’t keep Kansas’ leading scorer, Ben McLemore out of Saturday’s game against Texas.
In a 61-44 win against Baylor on Monday night, McLemore landed awkwardly, resulting in the freshman guard rolling his ankle. According to the Kansas City Star, McLemore returned to practice on Thursday after sitting out practice on Tuesday and only participating in a light shootaround on Wednesday.
“He’s gonna be close to 100 percent come Saturday,” said Kansas head coach Bill Self.
The Jayhawks, in the middle of a 14 game winning streak, will have their star freshmen against a struggling Longhorns team. Texas is sitting at .500 and is off to an 0-3 start in Big 12 play this season. However, next Tuesday, No. 4 Kansas has a road game with in-state rival, No. 16 Kansas State. Kansas will get McLemore a game to test that recovering ankle before Tuesday’s top 25 matchup.
McLemore has been the best option offensively for the Jayhawks this season, pouring in 16.4 points per game. Missing McLemore for any period of time is something Kansas can’t afford.
“I’d be nervous for anybody to get hurt,” said Self. “But because it was Ben, it seemed like to me there was a little bit of air in the building that left.
“But I don’t think I was scared; concern would probably be a better word.”
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)