Jan 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The MCL sprain, Missouri senior forward, Laurence Bowers suffered on Jan. 8 in a win against Alabama will sideline him for the Tigers game Saturday against No. 10 Florida.
According to the Maneater, Missouri head coach Frank Haith said in a Wednesday press conference that he did not expect Bowers to suit up for Saturday.
“I would anticipate him not playing more so than playing because he hasn’t practiced,” said Haith.
When Bowers initially sprained the MCL in his right knee – not the same knee where he tore his ACL that sidelined him for last season – that he would only miss games against Alabama and Ole Miss. The extended absence of the 6-foot-8 power forward doesn’t bode well for the Tigers, as he and Phil Pressey have provided a nice combo for No. 17 Mizzou.
Bowers is Mizzou’s leading scorer and second-leading rebounder at 16.8 points per game to go along with 6.9 rebounds per game. The Tigers will need to rely on a strong performance from Alex Oriakhi, who will matchup against Patric Young and Erik Murphy on Saturday afternoon.
Oriakhi is coming off a 13 point, eight rebound effort in a 79-62 win Tuesday against Georgia. Haith needed a big night from his transfer senior, following a 15-point loss to Ole Miss on Jan. 12.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0