Jan 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
The MCL sprain, Missouri senior forward, Laurence Bowers suffered on Jan. 8 in a win against Alabama will sideline him for the Tigers game Saturday against No. 10 Florida.
According to the Maneater, Missouri head coach Frank Haith said in a Wednesday press conference that he did not expect Bowers to suit up for Saturday.
“I would anticipate him not playing more so than playing because he hasn’t practiced,” said Haith.
When Bowers initially sprained the MCL in his right knee – not the same knee where he tore his ACL that sidelined him for last season – that he would only miss games against Alabama and Ole Miss. The extended absence of the 6-foot-8 power forward doesn’t bode well for the Tigers, as he and Phil Pressey have provided a nice combo for No. 17 Mizzou.
Bowers is Mizzou’s leading scorer and second-leading rebounder at 16.8 points per game to go along with 6.9 rebounds per game. The Tigers will need to rely on a strong performance from Alex Oriakhi, who will matchup against Patric Young and Erik Murphy on Saturday afternoon.
Oriakhi is coming off a 13 point, eight rebound effort in a 79-62 win Tuesday against Georgia. Haith needed a big night from his transfer senior, following a 15-point loss to Ole Miss on Jan. 12.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)