Jan 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The MCL sprain, Missouri senior forward, Laurence Bowers suffered on Jan. 8 in a win against Alabama will sideline him for the Tigers game Saturday against No. 10 Florida.
According to the Maneater, Missouri head coach Frank Haith said in a Wednesday press conference that he did not expect Bowers to suit up for Saturday.
“I would anticipate him not playing more so than playing because he hasn’t practiced,” said Haith.
When Bowers initially sprained the MCL in his right knee – not the same knee where he tore his ACL that sidelined him for last season – that he would only miss games against Alabama and Ole Miss. The extended absence of the 6-foot-8 power forward doesn’t bode well for the Tigers, as he and Phil Pressey have provided a nice combo for No. 17 Mizzou.
Bowers is Mizzou’s leading scorer and second-leading rebounder at 16.8 points per game to go along with 6.9 rebounds per game. The Tigers will need to rely on a strong performance from Alex Oriakhi, who will matchup against Patric Young and Erik Murphy on Saturday afternoon.
Oriakhi is coming off a 13 point, eight rebound effort in a 79-62 win Tuesday against Georgia. Haith needed a big night from his transfer senior, following a 15-point loss to Ole Miss on Jan. 12.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along