Jan 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
The MCL sprain, Missouri senior forward, Laurence Bowers suffered on Jan. 8 in a win against Alabama will sideline him for the Tigers game Saturday against No. 10 Florida.
According to the Maneater, Missouri head coach Frank Haith said in a Wednesday press conference that he did not expect Bowers to suit up for Saturday.
“I would anticipate him not playing more so than playing because he hasn’t practiced,” said Haith.
When Bowers initially sprained the MCL in his right knee – not the same knee where he tore his ACL that sidelined him for last season – that he would only miss games against Alabama and Ole Miss. The extended absence of the 6-foot-8 power forward doesn’t bode well for the Tigers, as he and Phil Pressey have provided a nice combo for No. 17 Mizzou.
Bowers is Mizzou’s leading scorer and second-leading rebounder at 16.8 points per game to go along with 6.9 rebounds per game. The Tigers will need to rely on a strong performance from Alex Oriakhi, who will matchup against Patric Young and Erik Murphy on Saturday afternoon.
Oriakhi is coming off a 13 point, eight rebound effort in a 79-62 win Tuesday against Georgia. Haith needed a big night from his transfer senior, following a 15-point loss to Ole Miss on Jan. 12.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)