Jan 18, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
St. Joseph’s shot 52.3% from the floor. VCU was 7-32 from beyond the arc. Tay Jones and Langston Galloway were both playing as well as they have all season. St. Joe’s have a four-point lead with 14 seconds left as the grabbed a defensive rebound.
So it should only make sense that No. 22 Rams beat the Hawks 92-86 in overtime, right?
That’s what happens when the two players grabbing that defensive rebound travel as they fight for the ball, Troy Daniels buries a three, Ronald Roberts hits one of two free throws and Darius Theus ties the game with a driving layup.
And when you’re playing VCU — especially when you’re a St. Joe’s team that lacks depth, is missing a starter and has a star, Jones, dealing with cramping issues — you don’t want to go to overtime.
Because that’s the story with this group. There isn’t a team in the country that is more difficult to play than VCU. They press for 40 minutes, they are physical defensively, they make you run up-and-down and they beat you up and they take your legs out of the game. As entertaining as VCU is for someone like me or you to watch on TV, they are twice as miserable for someone like St. Joe’s to play against.
Think about that.
St. Joe’s, for the first time since they beat Harvard a couple of days before Thanksgiving, finally lived up to their talent level. They finally played like a team capable of winning the Atlantic 10. They outplayed VCU on the road. They made big shots down the stretch.
And they still lost.
There is a reason that Shaka Smart calls his system ‘Havoc’.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)