Jan 18, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
San Diego State junior point guard Xavier Thames has seen his averages drop a little when compared to last season’s numbers, but there’s been a very good reason for that. Thames injured his back in practice three weeks ago and reaggravated the injury a couple days later in the Aztecs’ 72-57 win over Cal State Bakersfield on January 2.
He would play just 14 minutes in that game, and since then it’s been a bit of a struggle for him. In an 82-75 loss to UNLV on Wednesday night Thames accounted for just two rebounds and a turnover on 25 minutes of action in the defeat, and in practice the following day Thames tweaked his back again.
As a result Thames is questionable for San Diego State’s game at Wyoming on Saturday, and if he can’t go that would be an big loss for Steve Fisher’s team. On the season Wyoming is forcing opponents to turn the ball over 15.2 times per game, a number that ranks fourth in the Mountain West.
In San Diego State’s three Mountain West games since the win over Cal State Bakersfield Thames has played in two, sitting out the win at Fresno State due to the back problem and scoring 14 points (3-of-11 FG) and dishing out two assists in a 79-72 overtime victory over Colorado State in advance of their loss to UNLV.
Fisher played him only eight minutes in the second half [against UNLV] and not at all over the final 5:53, opting to go with freshman Winston Shepard at the point.
“In watching the tape, he was not moving, especially at the defensive end, the way he’s accustomed to moving,” Fisher said. “I’m concerned about it. I’m concerned that we not only have him but have him at peak efficiency.”
On the season Thames is averaging 9.8 points and 2.6 assists per game, with the assist average being 1.5 assists per game fewer than his average last season (4.1). If he’s unable to go freshman Winston Shepard will see more time at the point. On Wednesday night Shepard played his best game of the season, finishing with 18 points (4-of-9 FG, 10-of-12 FT), five rebounds and five assists.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional