Jan 18, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 7 Arizona at Arizona State (Sat. 2:30 p.m. FSN)
I know. My first instinct would be to laugh too, but at this point you should know that the Sun Devils have a squad out in Tempe this year. Jahii Carson, the nation’s most-underappreciated point guard, is the real deal. He’s as athletic as anyone in the country, he’s impossible to keep out of the lane and he can score off the bounce and find his teammates if they’re open.
But he’s far from the only option that Herb Sendek has offensively. Carrick Felix has been one of the most improved players in the Pac-12, averaging 15.2 points and 8.2 boards this season, providing a perfect compliment along Arizona State’s front line to shot-blocker Jordan Bachynski, he of the first ever triple-double in Sun Devil history.
As Jon Gasaway spelled out in his Tuesday Truths column this week, Arizona has been a long way from impressive this season. All their meaningful wins have been close games; they’re a team that thrives on the last-minute comeback, which is a dangerous way to play. Especially on the road. Especially against an in-state rival.
Who else is on upset alert?
- No. 25 Marquette at Cincinnati (Sat. 7:00 p.m. ESPNU): The Golden Eagles have won three games in Big East play this year: two went to overtime, one came when Greg Whittington missed the third of three free throws with 2.3 seconds left on the clock. Cincinnati has been on the losing end of a couple close games. Both teams have a loaded perimeter attack, but the difference is that Marquette has a scoring presence on the block in Davante Gardner. Regardless, if you like tough, physical basketball, this will be the game for you.
- No. 15 San Diego State at Wyoming (Sat. 7:30 p.m.): Wyoming may be playing without Luke Martinez for an extended period of time, but they still have Leonard Washington on the roster, and they are still going to be hosting the Aztecs in a game that they need to help boost their tournament resume. You see, with how tough the MWC is this year, if a team wants to make the NCAA tournament or compete for a good seed in the MWC tournament, they are going to have to win their home games; there aren’t many easy road trips in that league this year.
- Oklahoma at No. 16 Kansas State (Sat. 4:00 p.m. ESPN3): Oklahoma is slowly but surely starting to play like the team that many of us thought that had chance to sneak into the NCAA tournament this season. They also have a terrific defender in Buddy Hield to matchup with Rodney McGruder. Road trips aren’t easy, but expect Oklahoma to give K-State a fight.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:10 AM EDT
No. 4 Duke and No. 10 San Diego State picked up big home wins, and Eastern Kentucky became the second team into the NCAA tournament field on a busy Saturday.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
New Mexico led by 16 with 12:05 remaining. And then their inability to adjust to San Diego State’s 1-3-1 zone cost them the Mountain West title.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
No. 10 San Diego State overcomes a 16-point second half deficit as they knock off No. 21 New Mexico and bring home a Mountain West title. But should that change how we view the Aztecs?
Mar 9, 2014, 12:09 AM EDT
North Carolina shot nearly 60%, but getting whipped on the boards cost them dearly at Cameron.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood both went off for No. 4 Duke as the Blue Devils smacked around North Carolina. Does that mean we can call them a Final Four team again?
Mar 8, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
Get caught up on all of Saturday’s bubble action
Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
Creighton’s senior forward scored his 3,000th career point on Saturday night. Only seven other players have reached that total.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:24 PM EDT
Get to know the second entry into the 2014 NCAA Tournament field, the Eastern Kentucky Colonels.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
No. 3 Arizona hasn’t been the best perimeter shooting team, but they’ve been able to make up for that on most days. That wasn’t the case against Oregon, and the struggles of Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Gabe York didn’t help either.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Texas A&M celebrated Senior Day on Saturday and it included honoring former high school signee Tobi Oyedeji, who was tragically killed in a car accident in 2010 and never played for the school.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Oregon wins its seventh straight, and the Ducks likely punched their ticket to the NCAA tournament with the win over No. 3 Arizona.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
No. 19 UConn has struggled to crack 70 points during a recent six-game stretch and it could lead to an early exit for the Huskies in the postseason.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
The top seed in next week’s American Athletic Conference was determined by an old school method Saturday afternoon.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The Shockers are now one step closer to entering Selection Sunday undefeated.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
As Louisville sophomore forward Montrezl Harrell puts up huge numbers against great competition in the last few weeks are the Cardinals a threat to make a run at back-to-back national titles?
Mar 8, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
No. 16 Iowa State comes from 16 points back to beat Marcus Smart and Oklahoma State, but even with the loss, the Cowboys looked even more dangerous. Read why.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
No. 8 Kansas fell on the road to West Virginia on Saturday, but the Jayhawks will take the loss knowing that the superstar version of Andrew Wiggins might have finally come to life.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
Just how concerned should we be by Kentucky’s struggles over the last two weeks?
Mar 8, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Oklahoma State star Marcus Smart has developed a reputation for flopping this season. Don’t, for a second, think that opposing student sections haven’t noticed.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
No. 1 Florida spent Saturday showcasing just what makes them so dangerous heading into the NCAA tournament.
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)