Jan 18, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
It hasn’t been the ideal season thus far for the defending national champions. It may have gotten a little tougher on Thursday when multiple reports surfaced that Kentucky freshman forward Willie Cauley-Stein aggrevated an existing left knee injury and will likely miss games.
Kentucky Sports Radio reported that Stein had a “minor knee procedure” and on Thursday afternoon reported that John Calipari had met with the media and said Stein probably could continued to play with the injury, which he first suffered in junior high according to Calipari, but they want to take care of it immediately.
Stein is will likely miss the Auburn game and his status is to be determined. KRS reported earlier in the day that sources said Stein could “be out for an undisclosed amount of time.”
The 7-foot freshman is averaging 7.6 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game. In his absence, Kyle Wiltjer and Alex Poythress will have to be more active alongside freshman Nerlens Noel.
Other injury news from Lexington were Jon Hood has returned to practice and Twany Beckham is out with a lower back injury, according to John Clay.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)