Jan 18, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
It hasn’t been the ideal season thus far for the defending national champions. It may have gotten a little tougher on Thursday when multiple reports surfaced that Kentucky freshman forward Willie Cauley-Stein aggrevated an existing left knee injury and will likely miss games.
Kentucky Sports Radio reported that Stein had a “minor knee procedure” and on Thursday afternoon reported that John Calipari had met with the media and said Stein probably could continued to play with the injury, which he first suffered in junior high according to Calipari, but they want to take care of it immediately.
Stein is will likely miss the Auburn game and his status is to be determined. KRS reported earlier in the day that sources said Stein could “be out for an undisclosed amount of time.”
The 7-foot freshman is averaging 7.6 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game. In his absence, Kyle Wiltjer and Alex Poythress will have to be more active alongside freshman Nerlens Noel.
Other injury news from Lexington were Jon Hood has returned to practice and Twany Beckham is out with a lower back injury, according to John Clay.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)