Jan 18, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
It hasn’t been the ideal season thus far for the defending national champions. It may have gotten a little tougher on Thursday when multiple reports surfaced that Kentucky freshman forward Willie Cauley-Stein aggrevated an existing left knee injury and will likely miss games.
Kentucky Sports Radio reported that Stein had a “minor knee procedure” and on Thursday afternoon reported that John Calipari had met with the media and said Stein probably could continued to play with the injury, which he first suffered in junior high according to Calipari, but they want to take care of it immediately.
Stein is will likely miss the Auburn game and his status is to be determined. KRS reported earlier in the day that sources said Stein could “be out for an undisclosed amount of time.”
The 7-foot freshman is averaging 7.6 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game. In his absence, Kyle Wiltjer and Alex Poythress will have to be more active alongside freshman Nerlens Noel.
Other injury news from Lexington were Jon Hood has returned to practice and Twany Beckham is out with a lower back injury, according to John Clay.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)