Jan 18, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
It hasn’t been the ideal season thus far for the defending national champions. It may have gotten a little tougher on Thursday when multiple reports surfaced that Kentucky freshman forward Willie Cauley-Stein aggrevated an existing left knee injury and will likely miss games.
Kentucky Sports Radio reported that Stein had a “minor knee procedure” and on Thursday afternoon reported that John Calipari had met with the media and said Stein probably could continued to play with the injury, which he first suffered in junior high according to Calipari, but they want to take care of it immediately.
Stein is will likely miss the Auburn game and his status is to be determined. KRS reported earlier in the day that sources said Stein could “be out for an undisclosed amount of time.”
The 7-foot freshman is averaging 7.6 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game. In his absence, Kyle Wiltjer and Alex Poythress will have to be more active alongside freshman Nerlens Noel.
Other injury news from Lexington were Jon Hood has returned to practice and Twany Beckham is out with a lower back injury, according to John Clay.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)