Jan 19, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
In one swift transition sequence, the momentum shifted in Austin, Texas.
Down by as many as 11 points Saturday, a Jeff Withey block with 4:34 remaining in the second half led to a thunderous dunk off of an alley-oop by freshman Ben McLemore to put Kansas ahead by one point, 54-53, on its way to a 64-59 win over Texas Saturday.
Down by three points, 62-59, with 0:15 to play, Texas’ Julien Lewis missed a three-pointer from the right corner and Kansas grabbed the rebound, sealing the victory.
The Jayhawks shot just 39 percent from the field, but used the free throw line to their advantage. Kansas shot 21-of-25 from the line (84 percent), compared to just 2-of-8 for Texas.
Texas sophomore Jonathan Holmes scored all of his 10 points in the second half, helping to spark a 12-0 run early in the second half that turned a one-point deficit into a solid 11-point Longhorn lead with 15:22 to play.
Over that three-minute stretch, Kansas turned the ball over on five straight possessions and Holmes had seven points.
Texas’ intensity on both the offensive and defensive ends helped to dictate the pace in the first and part of the second half. Kansas’ ability to turn the tables and use Jeff Withey’s defense to its advantage was a turning point in the game.
Withey finished with 14 points, nine rebounds, and three blocks.
Kansas guard Elijah Johnson did not score until the 8:47 mark of the second half, ending his 0-of-9 shooting drought to begin the game. That layup sparked a 15-4 run for the Jayhawks that put Kansas ahead for good.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)