Jan 19, 2013, 4:19 PM EST
In one swift transition sequence, the momentum shifted in Austin, Texas.
Down by as many as 11 points Saturday, a Jeff Withey block with 4:34 remaining in the second half led to a thunderous dunk off of an alley-oop by freshman Ben McLemore to put Kansas ahead by one point, 54-53, on its way to a 64-59 win over Texas Saturday.
Down by three points, 62-59, with 0:15 to play, Texas’ Julien Lewis missed a three-pointer from the right corner and Kansas grabbed the rebound, sealing the victory.
The Jayhawks shot just 39 percent from the field, but used the free throw line to their advantage. Kansas shot 21-of-25 from the line (84 percent), compared to just 2-of-8 for Texas.
Texas sophomore Jonathan Holmes scored all of his 10 points in the second half, helping to spark a 12-0 run early in the second half that turned a one-point deficit into a solid 11-point Longhorn lead with 15:22 to play.
Over that three-minute stretch, Kansas turned the ball over on five straight possessions and Holmes had seven points.
Texas’ intensity on both the offensive and defensive ends helped to dictate the pace in the first and part of the second half. Kansas’ ability to turn the tables and use Jeff Withey’s defense to its advantage was a turning point in the game.
Withey finished with 14 points, nine rebounds, and three blocks.
Kansas guard Elijah Johnson did not score until the 8:47 mark of the second half, ending his 0-of-9 shooting drought to begin the game. That layup sparked a 15-4 run for the Jayhawks that put Kansas ahead for good.
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 4
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)