Jan 19, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
In one swift transition sequence, the momentum shifted in Austin, Texas.
Down by as many as 11 points Saturday, a Jeff Withey block with 4:34 remaining in the second half led to a thunderous dunk off of an alley-oop by freshman Ben McLemore to put Kansas ahead by one point, 54-53, on its way to a 64-59 win over Texas Saturday.
Down by three points, 62-59, with 0:15 to play, Texas’ Julien Lewis missed a three-pointer from the right corner and Kansas grabbed the rebound, sealing the victory.
The Jayhawks shot just 39 percent from the field, but used the free throw line to their advantage. Kansas shot 21-of-25 from the line (84 percent), compared to just 2-of-8 for Texas.
Texas sophomore Jonathan Holmes scored all of his 10 points in the second half, helping to spark a 12-0 run early in the second half that turned a one-point deficit into a solid 11-point Longhorn lead with 15:22 to play.
Over that three-minute stretch, Kansas turned the ball over on five straight possessions and Holmes had seven points.
Texas’ intensity on both the offensive and defensive ends helped to dictate the pace in the first and part of the second half. Kansas’ ability to turn the tables and use Jeff Withey’s defense to its advantage was a turning point in the game.
Withey finished with 14 points, nine rebounds, and three blocks.
Kansas guard Elijah Johnson did not score until the 8:47 mark of the second half, ending his 0-of-9 shooting drought to begin the game. That layup sparked a 15-4 run for the Jayhawks that put Kansas ahead for good.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Florida International had some bad luck over the weekend.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major has returned to the team.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)