Jan 19, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Scary news out of Charlottesville tonight.
UVA won 56-36, but fans, coaches and players were far more concerned with an injury that occurred with 3:59 left to play.
Terrence Shannon, a junior forward for Florida State, was taken off the court on a backboard after colliding with Virginia’s Evan Nolte. Shannon injured his neck on the play. Tallahassee.com told the tale:
Florida State forward Okaro White was standing right next to Shannon when he was injured.
“It was very scary,” White said. “When he started falling, he didn’t even try to brace himself. It’s very scary. Especially when he’s not moving like that. Normally you go over there, and I would try to get him up, but I could tell it was serious.”
Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton said after the game that Shannon was lucid and coherent during the ten minutes he lay on the floor after the incident, and that he was able to close his fingers and wiggle his toes when requested to do so by the medical staff on premesis.
Shannon was taken to the University of Virginia Medical Center for an MRI, and will stay in the hospital at least overnight.
Shannon should be in good hands. UVA Medical Center doctors supervised the initial treatment and rehabilitation of actor Christoper Reeve’s neck injury in 1995.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)