Jan 19, 2013, 8:23 PM EST
Scary news out of Charlottesville tonight.
UVA won 56-36, but fans, coaches and players were far more concerned with an injury that occurred with 3:59 left to play.
Terrence Shannon, a junior forward for Florida State, was taken off the court on a backboard after colliding with Virginia’s Evan Nolte. Shannon injured his neck on the play. Tallahassee.com told the tale:
Florida State forward Okaro White was standing right next to Shannon when he was injured.
“It was very scary,” White said. “When he started falling, he didn’t even try to brace himself. It’s very scary. Especially when he’s not moving like that. Normally you go over there, and I would try to get him up, but I could tell it was serious.”
Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton said after the game that Shannon was lucid and coherent during the ten minutes he lay on the floor after the incident, and that he was able to close his fingers and wiggle his toes when requested to do so by the medical staff on premesis.
Shannon was taken to the University of Virginia Medical Center for an MRI, and will stay in the hospital at least overnight.
Shannon should be in good hands. UVA Medical Center doctors supervised the initial treatment and rehabilitation of actor Christoper Reeve’s neck injury in 1995.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 6
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)