Jan 19, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Scary news out of Charlottesville tonight.
UVA won 56-36, but fans, coaches and players were far more concerned with an injury that occurred with 3:59 left to play.
Terrence Shannon, a junior forward for Florida State, was taken off the court on a backboard after colliding with Virginia’s Evan Nolte. Shannon injured his neck on the play. Tallahassee.com told the tale:
Florida State forward Okaro White was standing right next to Shannon when he was injured.
“It was very scary,” White said. “When he started falling, he didn’t even try to brace himself. It’s very scary. Especially when he’s not moving like that. Normally you go over there, and I would try to get him up, but I could tell it was serious.”
Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton said after the game that Shannon was lucid and coherent during the ten minutes he lay on the floor after the incident, and that he was able to close his fingers and wiggle his toes when requested to do so by the medical staff on premesis.
Shannon was taken to the University of Virginia Medical Center for an MRI, and will stay in the hospital at least overnight.
Shannon should be in good hands. UVA Medical Center doctors supervised the initial treatment and rehabilitation of actor Christoper Reeve’s neck injury in 1995.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)