Jan 19, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Scary news out of Charlottesville tonight.
UVA won 56-36, but fans, coaches and players were far more concerned with an injury that occurred with 3:59 left to play.
Terrence Shannon, a junior forward for Florida State, was taken off the court on a backboard after colliding with Virginia’s Evan Nolte. Shannon injured his neck on the play. Tallahassee.com told the tale:
Florida State forward Okaro White was standing right next to Shannon when he was injured.
“It was very scary,” White said. “When he started falling, he didn’t even try to brace himself. It’s very scary. Especially when he’s not moving like that. Normally you go over there, and I would try to get him up, but I could tell it was serious.”
Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton said after the game that Shannon was lucid and coherent during the ten minutes he lay on the floor after the incident, and that he was able to close his fingers and wiggle his toes when requested to do so by the medical staff on premesis.
Shannon was taken to the University of Virginia Medical Center for an MRI, and will stay in the hospital at least overnight.
Shannon should be in good hands. UVA Medical Center doctors supervised the initial treatment and rehabilitation of actor Christoper Reeve’s neck injury in 1995.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)