Jan 19, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Scary news out of Charlottesville tonight.
UVA won 56-36, but fans, coaches and players were far more concerned with an injury that occurred with 3:59 left to play.
Terrence Shannon, a junior forward for Florida State, was taken off the court on a backboard after colliding with Virginia’s Evan Nolte. Shannon injured his neck on the play. Tallahassee.com told the tale:
Florida State forward Okaro White was standing right next to Shannon when he was injured.
“It was very scary,” White said. “When he started falling, he didn’t even try to brace himself. It’s very scary. Especially when he’s not moving like that. Normally you go over there, and I would try to get him up, but I could tell it was serious.”
Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton said after the game that Shannon was lucid and coherent during the ten minutes he lay on the floor after the incident, and that he was able to close his fingers and wiggle his toes when requested to do so by the medical staff on premesis.
Shannon was taken to the University of Virginia Medical Center for an MRI, and will stay in the hospital at least overnight.
Shannon should be in good hands. UVA Medical Center doctors supervised the initial treatment and rehabilitation of actor Christoper Reeve’s neck injury in 1995.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)