Jan 19, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
If you told me I could only cover one conference for the remainder of the season, I’d pick the Mountain West, and I’ll tell you why.
Top-to-bottom, right now, it’s the most competitive league in the nation. Any team can beat any other on any given day, and it’s not because the league is weak, but because it’s loaded with great players and coaches. Only Nevada and Fresno State have played below the radar this season.
And fans, oh man the fans. Televised games are absolutely raucous this season, because MWC fans know they have it good.
Colorado State’s Moby Center was rocking hard throughout tonight’s 66-61 win over preseason favorite UNLV. Home fans watched Dorian Green score 24 and center Colton Iverson pull down ten crucial rebounds against the Rebs. Noise levels on the Rams’ home court reached airport-tarmac levels as Colorado State held the visitors scoreless for more than three minutes down the stretch.
To get your taste of MWC basketball, watch these highlights from NBCSports:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)