Jan 19, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Connecticut guard Shabazz Napier will play Saturday against Pittsburgh, five days after injuring his shoulder versus Louisville, the school announced via Twitter.
Napier was listed as a “gametime decision” after being injured on a drive to the basket early in Monday’s loss to the Cardinals and made the trip to Pittsburgh with the team, as expected. According to the school, he felt some discomfort in the shoulder during shootaround this morning, but will “give it a go” Saturday.
According to David Borges of the New Haven Register, Napier sat out of practice Wednesday and Thursday of this week and will continue to get treatment after the game and on Sunday.
Having Napier in the lineup vs. Pittsburgh will be key, as the Huskies try to neutralize the strong backcourt of Tray Woodall and James Robinson for the Panthers. Napier has been one of the best guards in the Big East this season, averaging 17.1 points and 4.1 assists per game. He and backcourt mate Ryan Boatright have emerged as a solid one-two punch for the Huskies, with Boatright averaging 15.8 points and 4.6 assists per game.
Connecticut tips off against Pittsburgh at 12:00 p.m. ET.
- Reebok Breakout Classic Day 1 Recap: Derryck Thornton outshines Diamond Stone, Skal Labissiere 0
- Senate Commerce Committee grills NCAA president Mark Emmert 0
- July Live Period Preview: The most notable events during the summer 0
- July Live Period Preview: Eight story lines to watch the next three weeks 0
- Seven programs with the most on the line during July’s live period 1
- What is the July evaluation period, and why is it so important? 1
- July Live Period Preview: 15 names that you need to know 1
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (15)
- Rashad McCants says there was never a relationship between him and Roy Williams (AUDIO) (7)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (3)
- Fascinating look at Michigan’s increased use of the pick-and-roll (2)
- Shane Battier to join ESPN as college hoops analyst (2)