Jan 19, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
Connecticut guard Shabazz Napier will play Saturday against Pittsburgh, five days after injuring his shoulder versus Louisville, the school announced via Twitter.
Napier was listed as a “gametime decision” after being injured on a drive to the basket early in Monday’s loss to the Cardinals and made the trip to Pittsburgh with the team, as expected. According to the school, he felt some discomfort in the shoulder during shootaround this morning, but will “give it a go” Saturday.
According to David Borges of the New Haven Register, Napier sat out of practice Wednesday and Thursday of this week and will continue to get treatment after the game and on Sunday.
Having Napier in the lineup vs. Pittsburgh will be key, as the Huskies try to neutralize the strong backcourt of Tray Woodall and James Robinson for the Panthers. Napier has been one of the best guards in the Big East this season, averaging 17.1 points and 4.1 assists per game. He and backcourt mate Ryan Boatright have emerged as a solid one-two punch for the Huskies, with Boatright averaging 15.8 points and 4.6 assists per game.
Connecticut tips off against Pittsburgh at 12:00 p.m. ET.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)