Jan 20, 2013, 11:17 PM EST
Three days after losing by a point at Maryland the Wolfpack bounced back with a close home victory over the Tigers. T.J. Warren led NC State with 21 points off the bench and three starters scored 11 points apiece for the Wolfpack, who remain a game behind Miami in the loss column. Clemson’s Devin Booker led all scorers with a career-high 27 points on 13-of-18 shooting.
Cody Zeller scored 21 points and grabbed 15 rebounds, and Jordan Hulls added 15 as the Hoosiers held off the Wildcats in Evanston. Northwestern’s Reggie Hearn led all scorers with 22 points but the Wildcats’ 30.4% shooting from the field in the first half proved to be too much to overcome. Northwestern’s reserves outscored Indiana’s 11-6, and with their recent production in mind should Indiana be concerned about the play of its bench? Click that link for more.
2. Rider 67, Iona 62
Kevin Baggett’s Broncs are playing their best basketball of the season currently, as they pushed their win streak to five games with a five-point win over Iona. Leading scorer Nurideen Lindsey (concussion) was forced to sit out but Tommy Pereira came to the rescue, knocking down four three-pointers and scoring a team-high 14 points to go along with five rebounds. Lamont Jones (5-of-16 FG) led four Gaels in double figures with 20 points but Iona shot 5-of-24 from three, and that percentage proved costly. Rider’s win keeps them within a game of first-place Niagara in the MAAC standings.
3. Navy 59, Army 50
Ed DeChellis’ Midshipmen went on a 28-8 run in the first half and hung on from there, snapping a 16-game Patriot League losing streak in the first of two meetings between the long-time rivals. Worth Smith scored 16 points and Kevin “Pookie” Alter added 14 off the bench for Navy, while Ella Ellis led three Black Knights in double figures with 15. Before Sunday Navy hadn’t won a conference game since beating Colgate 75-55 on February 26, 2011.
1. F/C Cody Zeller (Indiana)
21 points (6-of-11 FG), 13 rebounds and two steals in the Hoosiers’ 67-59 win at Northwestern.
2. F Jackie Carmichael (Illinois State)
18 points (7-of-12 FG), 14 rebounds and three blocked shots in the Redbirds’ 70-56 win at Southern Illinois. The victory is Illinois State’s first conference win of the season (1-6 Missouri Valley).
3. Northern Iowa
The Panthers have struggled offensively at times but that certainly wasn’t the case in their 85-55 win over Drake. As a team UNI shot 60% from the field and Deon Mitchell led four starters in double figures with 20 points.
The Gaels struggled from the field and from three in their 67-62 loss at Rider on Sunday, shooting 33.9% (19-of-56) from the field and 5-of-24 from beyond the arc.
2. F Kayel Locke (UNC Greensboro)
Locke had a rough afternoon in the Spartans’ 69-61 loss to Furman, shooting 1-of-10 from the field and fouling out in just 21 minutes of action.
3. Drake starters not named Jordan Clarke
Remove Clarke’s 5-of-7 afternoon and the other four starters shot a combined 4-of-20 from the field. Tough to win on the road (85-55 loss at Northern Iowa) when your starters struggle like that.
Super Bowl XLVII and college basketball
The Super Bowl will have a connection to college basketball, as Indiana head coach Tom Crean is the brother (by marriage) of head coaches Jim (49ers) and John (Ravens) Harbaugh. With the Hoosiers hosting Michigan the night before Super Bowl XLVII will he be there? Yes.
Just texted Tom Crean, asked if he'd be at the Super Bowl following Feb. 2 game vs. Michigan: "Wouldn't miss it."—
Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) January 21, 2013
Also, NC State head coach Mark Gottfried is a cousin of the two head coaches and their sister.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)