Jan 21, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
West Virginia has been one of the biggest disappointments in the country this season.
Many believed that, with the addition of three transfers and the return of a solid group of veterans, the Mountaineers would have a chance to at least be competitive in the Big 12. In a season where there is only one really good team in the conference, it was hard not to imagine that Bob Huggins could get this group to hold their own with anyone on any given night.
Except that hasn’t happened.
A disappointing season turned ugly on Saturday, as West Virginia lost by 27 points to Purdue in West Lafayette. That’s embarrassing by any standards, let alone a coach that has won 718 games in his career. Embarrassing enough that Huggins apologized for his team’s effort:
“I want to apologize to our fans, apologize to the people in the state of West Virginia. This is totally unacceptable. This is not what we’re supposed to represent and hopefully they have enough faith in me that I will fix it.”
What’s worse is that Huggins seems to be at a loss with this group, and it’s not because they lack the talent. Because they don’t; there is a reason that West Virginia has been labeled a disappointment. The issue is that Huggins cannot figure out a way to get his players to compete:
“I’ve never in my coaching career not been able to get guys to compete,” Huggins said in his postgame radio show. “We don’t compete. We shoot it terrible. That shouldn’t stop us from guarding, it shouldn’t keep us from rebounding, it sure doesn’t cause you to throw the ball away.”
“I’m going to go recruit, which obviously I really need to do,” Huggins said.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)