Jan 21, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
It’s ironic that on the day that President Obama gets inaugurated for his second term, Craig Robinson — Michelle Obama’s brother — becomes the second-most relevant brother-in-law in college hoops.
That’s what happens when you’re Tom Crean and you happen to be married to the sister of Jim and John Harbaugh, the two brothers squaring off in Super Bowl XLVII on February 3rd.
You’re a Final Four head coach and at the helm of the Indiana basketball program in the year that they’ve finally returned to national relevancy as a title favorite, and you’re the third most-famous and most-accomplished coach at the table during Thanksgiving dinner.
The Super Bowl comes one day after Indiana squares off with Michigan for the first time this season, which just so happens to be a 9:00 p.m. tip. But you better believe that he’ll be at the game:
Just texted Tom Crean, asked if he'd be at the Super Bowl following Feb. 2 game vs. Michigan: "Wouldn't miss it."—
Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) January 21, 2013
Does this actually surprise anyone? When you’re provided with free tickets to the Super Bowl, you don’t turn them down. I don’t care what your job is.
For what it’s worth, Crean said the following on twitter after the Ravens beat New England last night, clinching the “Harbowl”:
We can’t put into words what it means to see John and Jim achieve this incredible milestone. We talked to Jim b4 his team plane left. All he wanted to know was how was John doing? How were they playing? One incredible family who puts the care, well being and love for each other at the forefront like most families do. Again, we are very proud of them. Going to be exciting to watch it unfold.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)