Jan 21, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Player of the Week: Sean Kilpatrick, Cincinnati
The Bearcats picked up arguably their biggest win of the season on Saturday, as they held on to beat No. 25 Marquette 71-69 in overtime after the Golden Eagles had fallen behind by a score of 29-13 at halftime. Making the win all the more impressive is that Cashmere Wright say the game out with a sprained knee and Davante Gardner slowly but surely fouled out the entire Cincinnati front line.
Kilpatrick was the reason the Bearcats were able to hold on. He finished with a career-high 36 points, shooting 11-23 from the field. The rest of the Cincinnati went 9-35 from the floor. Kilpatrick aslo scored seven of Cincinnati’s nine points in overtime, including the game-winning bucket on a driving layup with six seconds left on the clock. All this came after he went for 18 points in a win at DePaul.
The All-They-Were-Good-Too Team:
- G: Ian Clark, Belmont: In two games last week, Clark averaged 22.0 point, 6.5 boards, 3.5 assists and 3.5 steals while shooting 14-26 from the floor and 8-15 from three. More importantly, he led Belmont to wins over both Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee State, handing both programs their first loss in OVC play while moving the Bruins into sole possession of first. Making things even more impressive? Over his last five games, Clark is averaging 25.0 points while shooting 68.8% from the floor and 61.1% from three.
- G: Corey Hawkins, UC-Davis: Hawkins had himself a night on Saturday. He led the Aggies to a win at Hawaii on Saturday night with a 40 point performance. More impressive? Not only was Hawkins 8-9 from the three, but he was 10-14 from the floor and 12-12 from the line. The 6-foot-3 guard also chipped in with 12 boards on the night.
- G: Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche, Syracuse: It’s impossible to differentiate the two, but they deserve recognition after leading Syracuse to a win over Louisville. As MCW spent the first 24 minutes playing like he was shaving points, Triche went off, scoring 18 of his 23 points in the first half on 7-7 shooting. MCW turned it up down the stretch, however, accounting for the Orange’s last 13 points and making the game-winning and game-saving plays in the final minute.
- F: Carl Hall, Wichita State: In just his second game back after breaking his thumb in practice and missing a month of game-time, Hall came off the bench to finish with 17 points and 13 boards, six offensive, as the Shockers knocked off No. 12 Creighton 67-64 on Saturday afternoon.
- C: Mike Muscala, Bucknell: In wins over Lafayette and Colgate this week, Muscala finished averaged 26.0 points, 12.5 boards and 3.5 blocks. He’s too much center for the Patriot League to handle.
- Bench: Dorian Green (Colorado State), Rodney McGruder (Kansas State), Darius Theus (VCU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
St. John’s received some big news this week as sophomore center Chris Obekpa decided to stay in New York.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Kentucky freshman forward Marcus Lee will return to Lexington for his sophomore season.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
After leading Georgia State to 25 wins and a Sun Belt regular season title, Ron Hunter has been rewarded with a contract extension.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
With Steve Wojciechowski accepting the head coaching position at Marquette, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would account for that departure Friday.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Tulsa has officially hired Frank Haith to be its new basketball coach.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Arizona State announced Friday that guard Shaquielle McKissic has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Duke’s Rodney Hood made the news official Friday, announcing that he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Family and friends of Lacey Holsworth gathered at the Breslin Center to celebrate her life on Thursday.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kansas will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the DeBruce Center on May 2nd.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
With the rise in graduate transfers, the NCAA is looking to change the immediate eligibility process.
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
NCAA tournament participants Cincinnati, Creighton and North Carolina Central part of eight-team field in inaugural Emerald Coast Classic.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
The order of protection filed against former Missouri forward Zach Price by Earnest Ross was thrown out Thursday.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)