Jan 21, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
This season has been puzzling for Georgetown.
The Hoyas have won a game 37-36 (over Tennessee) and had lost three of their last five games, scoring less than 40 points in consecutive defeats to Marquette and Pittsburgh.
Monday night, the good Georgetown showed up at the Joyce Center and the Hoyas rode 19 points from Otto Porter and actually held Notre Dame under 50 in a 63-47 victory.
The Hoyas shot well, hitting 53.3-percent of their shots (24-for-45) and 7-of-15 threes in the win. It’s even a surprise that they won in a way, being that Porter was the lone Hoya in double figures.
Jerian Grant (13 points), Pat Connaughton (12) and Cooley (10) led the Fighting Irish, who have lost three of their last four.
So lately, should we expect this from Georgetown? It’s not like it’s going to be easy for John Thompson III’s team without Greg Whittington, who is still academically ineligible, but each night, it seems like a different Georgetown team. This one played a lot like the grinding squad that Thompson III wants. Low shot count, high efficiency.
Porter personified that, 7-of-10 from the field, nine rebounds, then two of seemingly everything else — assists, steals and blocks. D’Vauntes Smith-Riveira went 6-for-12 from the field for 14 points.
It’s going to be a fun Big East season for those watching the Hoyas. Just to see which team shows up.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 4
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)