Jan 21, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Even months after the storm, the relief effort to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy still is in full swing.
Notre Dame did their part to help recently, presenting a check to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie for $10,003 for the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund at halftime of the Fighting Irish’s 69-66 victory over Rutgers at the Joyce Center on Saturday.
The money was raised by auctioning off game tickets, game-worn jerseys and other items, according to the university.
The New Jersey-Notre Dame connection isn’t a strong one, but the connection between Christie and Notre Dame coach Mike Brey is. Brey coached at Delaware, where Christie graduated from.
“Mike called me right after the storm and said they wanted to try and do something with the basketball program,” Christie told WNDU TV. “The University wanted to do something to raise money. Incredible generosity by the Notre Dame family we really appreciate it.”
It’s a pretty awesome gesture by Brey and the Irish, especially when so many are doing the same thing.
Maybe the donation will bring the team some good luck. After a 14-1 start, Notre Dame has lost two of their last three.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)