Jan 21, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
Even months after the storm, the relief effort to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy still is in full swing.
Notre Dame did their part to help recently, presenting a check to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie for $10,003 for the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund at halftime of the Fighting Irish’s 69-66 victory over Rutgers at the Joyce Center on Saturday.
The money was raised by auctioning off game tickets, game-worn jerseys and other items, according to the university.
The New Jersey-Notre Dame connection isn’t a strong one, but the connection between Christie and Notre Dame coach Mike Brey is. Brey coached at Delaware, where Christie graduated from.
“Mike called me right after the storm and said they wanted to try and do something with the basketball program,” Christie told WNDU TV. “The University wanted to do something to raise money. Incredible generosity by the Notre Dame family we really appreciate it.”
It’s a pretty awesome gesture by Brey and the Irish, especially when so many are doing the same thing.
Maybe the donation will bring the team some good luck. After a 14-1 start, Notre Dame has lost two of their last three.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)