Jan 21, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Even months after the storm, the relief effort to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy still is in full swing.
Notre Dame did their part to help recently, presenting a check to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie for $10,003 for the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund at halftime of the Fighting Irish’s 69-66 victory over Rutgers at the Joyce Center on Saturday.
The money was raised by auctioning off game tickets, game-worn jerseys and other items, according to the university.
The New Jersey-Notre Dame connection isn’t a strong one, but the connection between Christie and Notre Dame coach Mike Brey is. Brey coached at Delaware, where Christie graduated from.
“Mike called me right after the storm and said they wanted to try and do something with the basketball program,” Christie told WNDU TV. “The University wanted to do something to raise money. Incredible generosity by the Notre Dame family we really appreciate it.”
It’s a pretty awesome gesture by Brey and the Irish, especially when so many are doing the same thing.
Maybe the donation will bring the team some good luck. After a 14-1 start, Notre Dame has lost two of their last three.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)