Jan 21, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Even months after the storm, the relief effort to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy still is in full swing.
Notre Dame did their part to help recently, presenting a check to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie for $10,003 for the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund at halftime of the Fighting Irish’s 69-66 victory over Rutgers at the Joyce Center on Saturday.
The money was raised by auctioning off game tickets, game-worn jerseys and other items, according to the university.
The New Jersey-Notre Dame connection isn’t a strong one, but the connection between Christie and Notre Dame coach Mike Brey is. Brey coached at Delaware, where Christie graduated from.
“Mike called me right after the storm and said they wanted to try and do something with the basketball program,” Christie told WNDU TV. “The University wanted to do something to raise money. Incredible generosity by the Notre Dame family we really appreciate it.”
It’s a pretty awesome gesture by Brey and the Irish, especially when so many are doing the same thing.
Maybe the donation will bring the team some good luck. After a 14-1 start, Notre Dame has lost two of their last three.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights